Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,214

1 members and 2,213 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack system

Thanks

Rack system

I am moving into my own house in a few weeks and have the room set away in the new house to start up a pretty sizeable collection and wanted a little advice on the rack systems currently out there. I was thinking about buying 2 premade racks from reptile basics one for the babies that would be in quarantine for 60-90 days and one medium size rack to start that hold roughly 16 that is expandable. They offer a belly heat option and a back heat option which would you go with and why? Also how hard is it to keep humidity in the rack system? Cant possibly be as bad as trying to keep it even in a glass tank but I'm looking at what would be best for the snakes. I would also like to get some opinions on thermostat setups for a rack system. I know that reptile basics has the Helix which is where I would be leaning because in my short research seems like everyone loves it.

Thank you in advance!
    Add me on
    facebook & youtube: Anw Reptiles

∞.∞ Ball pythons
    0.1 Brazilian rainbow boa
    0.1 Hog Island boa
    0.1 Cay Caulker boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya %66 het granite
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Uromastyx

Banned
    Thanks
    Please use a search on such trivial questions

These are just the VERY few I have found

Heat:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...elly+back+heat

Thermostat:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ht=Ranco+helix

Humidity:
    I don't feel like searching for this, but there is a reason why people keep snakes in tubs vs tanks. Humidity hold great even in the winter on paper towels in a rack system.

Thought I would be nice seeing it's a Friday. G

Have fun searching! I promise there is alot of info in old threads that are VERY useful.

Thanks
    Trivial? Like your time is so important that you can't answer a few simple questions for someone? If it bothered you that much feel free to not answer and move on from this trivial post. My questions refer specifically to the rack system and the links you provided with your search came back with information that had nothing to do with rack a rack setup. I did use the search for your information and couldn't find what I was looking for that's why I made a separate thread.

Maybe my questions should of been more specific.

Can using the belly heat option in a rack setup potentially cause the tubs above and below to have radical heat fluctuations? Seeing as how the heat tape is being run across the bottom much closer to the tub above and below than it would be on the back of the unit.

The thermostat question was also not answered in the search I did. I said that reptile basics has the Helix for sale but wanted to get ideas from people who have rack systems on which units they find work best for a bigger set up than one or two tanks.

Well for the one thing you did answer thank you. I have never used a rack system and had no idea how well they hold in humidity.
    Add me on

∞.∞ Ball pythons
    0.1 Hog Island boa
    0.1 Cay Caulker boa
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Uromastyx

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HerpIsAhobby For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (02-06-2011),Emilio (02-04-2011),rabernet (02-04-2011),SlitherinSisters (02-04-2011),waltah! (02-04-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: Rack system

Quote Originally Posted by MitsuMike View Post

Have fun searching! I promise there is alot of info in old threads that are VERY useful.
    You know i used to think the same way, but then I realized information is always changing as we find out more. ask me this question 2 years ago and I would probably say the say "belly heat since it aids in digestion" like the posts in your link.

Now with a little research done, I know that it all hearsay and no one can point to one study, experiment, or even some breeder just saying he noticed something. In other words, its based of of nothing.

I can tell you my back heated animals digest their food just fine. I can show you their poop if you want.

also if your using substrate that's not paper, I find temps are easy to maintain using back heat vs belly heat heating through substrate. If the rack is not enclosed though, it may be harder for back heat to maintain temps, so you have to look at the rack design. also your ambient room temps will play a factor. I mean my reptile room is 75-80 degrees and all my back heated racks are enclosed, so I can heat them no problem, your setup might be different.

also for the thermostat, people like seem to like rancos, their about as cheep as it gets with thermostat people are happy with. helix and herpstat are considered top of the line. I own 2 herpstats and like 6 or so helixs. I like the helix much better, changing stuff on herpstats annoy the crap out of me. others feel changing helixs are more annoying. I think we all agree both of them should just add some more fricking buttons so we can change stuff faster, but yea. it more personal preference between them two.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 02-04-2011 at 11:59 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

dr del (02-04-2011),Jay_Bunny (02-04-2011),JLC (02-04-2011),SlitherinSisters (02-04-2011),waltah! (02-04-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MitsuMike View Post

These are just the VERY few I have found

Heat:

Thermostat:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ht=Ranco+helix

Humidity:
    I don't feel like searching for this, but there is a reason why people keep snakes in tubs vs tanks. Humidity hold great even in the winter on paper towels in a rack system.

Thought I would be nice seeing it's a Friday. G

Mike - no one is making you read nor answer these "trivial" questions. Could you be any more condescending?

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (02-06-2011),Emilio (02-04-2011),Jay_Bunny (02-04-2011),L.West (02-04-2011),LunaBalls (02-04-2011),SlitherinSisters (02-04-2011),waltah! (02-04-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Mike - no one is making you read nor answer these "trivial" questions. Could you be any more condescending?
    I could have been. I answered the members question. Just thought it would benefit more by searching finding out the info and then asking questions if he had any on the information.
    Questions like:
    Back vs Belly heat
    Humidity in Tubs
    Ranco vs Helix

Are all questions that have been asking NUMEROUS time with no changing information. It would be beneficial to the board to not have worthless threads about things that have been already discussed over and over again.
    Sorry to hurt feelings but simple searches are EASY to do.

And to the noob, don't get an attitude because you lack the ability to read. I answered your questions the way you asked them, I don't read minds.

I come on here to help. I piss people off too, but that is not b/c I don't help them.

So do answer your heat in the rack question.
    YES the heat in the middle of a the rack will be a few degrees warmer vs the top or bottom. But if you have a heat exit to equally get rid of the extra heat you should be fine. Either way it's not that big of a difference to even get worried.
    The rephrased questions are much better and I don't mind answering those w/o a search link.

And for people thanking for no reason, it is quite uncalled for, especially form you Robin. I'll leave it at that to stay civil.
    Last edited by MitsuMike; 02-04-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be beneficial to the board to not have worthless threads about things that have been already discussed over and over again.
    We might as well put the key under the door than because at some point or another the question was probably asked and answered.

Who are you again to decide if a thread is beneficial for this board or not.

Can you suggest people to search? Of course you can but there is also a way to do it?

You need to remember that some people do need the 1 on 1 attention and again if you don't want to answer "worthless" threads than don't someone else will.

Talking about worthless posts you might want to look at your post history
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (02-06-2011)

Thanks
    Hey Mike I'm sure you have been helpful to others on here at one point or another but you couldn't have been any more obnoxious with me. I am not some kid coming on here with nonsense. I am a grown adult and most certainly can read. As I pointed out in my post the searches I pulled up didn't answer my questions to my satisfaction because they did not deal with a rack system. I even thanked you for your answer to the humidity question. Next time I post on here feel free to not respond if your just going to start an argument because when I have a question that I find no answer for I will be posting again.

Thank you to the others who responded with helpful information I appreciate it
    Add me on

∞.∞ Ball pythons
    0.1 Hog Island boa
    0.1 Cay Caulker boa
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Uromastyx

Thanks

I use the Reptile Basics CB70 3-tub rack (which is not, of course, exactly what you're looking at), however, from my experience and other rack users' posts, correct humidity is much easier to maintain in rack tubs. (Tubs in general, but as we're talking about rack tubs...) Add ventilation holes or tape over ventilation holes to control humidity. For increased humidity during sheds you can easily switch out to a bigger water bowl or spritz, and the humidity increases quickly. I use aspen in my tubs or, if it's particulary humid in our area, paper towels.

I've had good success with belly heat for my adult animals. No digestion or regurg problems. Snakes sit on heat after eating and nap. Good thermoregulating. I haven't used back heat, so I can't speak to pros and cons there. There is a recent poll on belly heat vs. back heat, I believe.

I've used both Helix DBS1000 and Herpstat proportional t-stats and personally prefer Herpstat as I had more constant, worry-free temps and excellent customer service from Spyder Robotics. Many on forum prefer Helix... just a matter of personal preference. I like that the Herpstat unit is smaller and easier for me to use. I've had more consistent temps in all three tubs using Herpstat.

I've had good experiences for the last three years with Reptile Basics and continue to buy accessories and equipment from Rich. I'm very satisfied with my rack, belly heat, and t-stat.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.
    Last edited by starfire; 02-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    --Star

Thanks
    I built a rack a few months back for all my adult snakes and I love it over tanks esp. because I do not have a lot of room, esp for 40 tanks. I use a johnson controll and love it and have had no issues, I got mine from retile basics. Humidity I have not had any issuies with either. I use back heat and all my guys and gals are doing great and growing like weeds.
    DC Reptiles.com coming soon....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast