Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,335

2 members and 2,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Excercise for snakes?

So in the wild, obviously BP's would still be spending a lot of time in their hiding spots, but they would also be roaming around a lot.

I guess to some extent holding them and letting them roam around your arm is excercise, but doesn't it seem like they need more to do in life?

Sometimes I wonder if I should start encouraging her to pull her self out of the tank a few times a week.

Thanks
    I've wondered this myself. Good question.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Little treadmill, about 2 feet wide with high sides. They sell them at PetCo, the snake's slithering powers it and it can slither endlessly.
    ]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pavlovk1025 For This Useful Post:

Marissa@MKmorphs (02-02-2011)

Thanks
    lol great idea
    Last edited by shelliebear; 01-28-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    And it's like 79.95 in the back by the pet food.
    ]

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Excercise for snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
    So in the wild, obviously BP's would still be spending a lot of time in their hiding spots, but they would also be roaming around a lot.

I guess to some extent holding them and letting them roam around your arm is excercise, but doesn't it seem like they need more to do in life?

Sometimes I wonder if I should start encouraging her to pull her self out of the tank a few times a week.

I'm pretty sure they tend to remain in one location for as long as possible. Venturing out would mean that they are increasing the odds another animal will find them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    All the footage and commentary on ball pythons in the wild talked about them being in their termite mounds with very very few exceptions. So they were not spending time "roaming around a lot". Since they ambush rodents in the termite mounds, they don't need to hunt down food, they are not even built for chasing prey. So moving around exposes them to predetors AND alerts prey items that there is a snake around. Also they would be giving up a satisfactory hide spot for an unknown. Another python could take their spot even if they did try to return, and they could possibly not find a ideal hiding spot and be left exposed.

Generally we should remember that pythons in general and ball pythons in particular are not mammals and especially not humans. They don't feel any need to stretch out and roam and explore. They generally have no need to burn off energy, and in fact it is detrimental for them to burn off energy because that leads to needing more calories to replace the energy. Reptiles are the ultimate in energy efficient.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

blushingball419 (01-28-2011),DellaF (01-28-2011),jamesa2580 (01-30-2011),Marissa@MKmorphs (02-02-2011),myanney (01-29-2011),shelliebear (01-28-2011),sho220 (01-28-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Your snake does not need suplemental exercise. In fact, the act of constricting and eating prey requires quite a bit of strength and energy. Can you imagine tensing all the muscles in your body for 10-15 minutes at a time? And then proceed to swallow a watermelon whole with your hands tied behind your back.

Well obviously this is an exaggeration, but you get the idea. Your snake will probably not get fat even if you never take it out of its cage and feed it once a week. If you feed your snake an appropriate sized meal once a week, they will be perfectly healthy weight wise.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

So, supplemental question to the original. My bp doesn't tend to wander much, which I realize is normal but sometimes he just goes on a real field trip around and around his tank, even after he's eaten. This is generally regardless of season, but I considered he may be searching for a mate.
    Random slithering-sprees are not a bad sign for anything right? Unless he's freaking out from being too hot, or is otherwise acting unnaturally (acting sick) which he has never had a problem with.
    Oh, and he also does this when the window is open and he senses pressure change/breeze. Seems to want to go out the window during summer!

Thanks

In my opinion, Ball pythons love to stay in their hide, in this they feel secure. In order to digest they need the right and proper temperature and I think this is enough for them but it would not hurt if they do roam around or handle them. Hope this helps! But I am not quite sure this is only in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast