Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,296

1 members and 2,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeding

Thanks

Smile feeding

Ive had my snake about a week now, and tried feeding her today she didnt want to eat which im not all to concerned about, but i was wondering if i can refreeze the pinky.

Also she has a bit of retained shed on her tail and tips to get it off besides the papertowel trick

Thanks

Re: feeding

Also ive witnessed her climbing on her temp/humidity gauges. A pretty cool trick for a snake but should i be concered about her hurting herself or breaking my gauges?

Thanks
    You could refreeze the pinky as long as there isn't any blood. How long has it been unfrozen for? The stuck tail skin I usually wet my fingers and run it across the stuck seection and it comes off. Be gentle and keep the fingers wet. I wouldn't woory about the snake hurting herself but I would get a digital gauge for the temp and humidity.
    Last edited by TheWinWizard; 01-27-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why are you feeding Pinkies?

Pinkies whether from rats or mice are too small for BP, the average hatchling starts on rat crawlers or hopper mice and quickly move to the next size up.

Now as far as not eating here are some questions for you

What is the size of your BP?

What is the size of your enclosure?

What are your temps and humidity and what type of thermometer, hygrometer are you using? (dial or digital?) Where do you measure your temps?

What type of hides are you providing? Are they tight with all sides touching your BP's body?

How often have you handled your BP if any?

What prey type was fed by the prior owner or breeder?
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-27-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I think a lot of pet store so called experts give people bad advice about feeding. I was lucky I came here first but when I first got my BP he was about 75 grams and just tiny. I read here and went to the pet store to buy hopper mice for him and just out of curiosity I asked the lady at the pet store what they were feeding the BP in a tank they had for sell. I kid you not this snake had to weigh 250-300 grams and she said they were giving it 1 pinky mouse a week and it was almost big enough to move up to hopper mice. At that rate I am amazed the snake would grow at all.

P.S. I am not bashing everyone that works at a pet store just the ones that work at my local Pet Store.
    Last edited by TomC; 01-28-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Why are you feeding Pinkies?

Pinkies whether from rats or mice are too small for BP, the average hatchling starts on rat crawlers or hopper mice and quickly move to the next size up.

Now as far as not eating here are some questions for you

What is the size of your BP?

What is the size of your enclosure?

What are your temps and humidity and what type of thermometer, hygrometer are you using? (dial or digital?) Where do you measure your temps?

What type of hides are you providing? Are they tight with all sides touching your BP's body?

How often have you handled your BP if any?

What prey type was fed by the prior owner or breeder?
    shes tiny probably about 100 grams give or take, i belive the guy said she was feeding on pinkies. Have have a 20 gal tank and she has two hides, a caveish one and a treeish one, cool side temp ranges from about 75-80, and warm side is from 85-92 with humidity from 48-60. I use dial gauges and have heard theyre not very dependable, so ill be buying a digital when i get paid. And ive only handled her twice since i got her. And when i do try to feed she usually ignores the prey and goes to climb on the feeding tongs (shes very exploritve)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    I think a lot of pet store so called experts give people bad advice about feeding. I was lucky I came here first but when I first got my BP he was about 75 grams and just tiny. I read here and went to the pet store to buy hopper mice for him and just out of curiosity I asked the lady at the pet store what they were feeding the BP in a tank they had for sell. I kid you not this snake had to weigh 250-300 grams and she said they were giving it 1 pinky mouse a week and it was almost big enough to move up to hopper mice. At that rate I am amazed the snake would grow at all.

P.S. I am not bashing everyone that works at a pet store just the ones that work at my local Pet Store.
    the pet store i went to said that feeding 2 pinkies would be sufficiant

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkullyB View Post
    the pet store i went to said that feeding 2 pinkies would be sufficient
    Maybe, but it would be better and more efficient to simply feed one hopper

Also, a 20 gallon tank is a little too big for a baby 100 gram ball python. I understand that you probably wanted to have something she could grow into, but for now she might be a little stressed in such a big space. I would cover the back and the sides of the tank with black construction paper or cardboard and get some fake plastic vines to fill it up a little and help make her feel more secure. Your temps and everything else sound good though, and it's good that you're going to be getting a digital thermometer
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blushingball419 View Post
    Maybe, but it would be better and more efficient to simply feed one hopper

Also, a 20 gallon tank is a little too big for a baby 100 gram ball python. I understand that you probably wanted to have something she could grow into, but for now she might be a little stressed in such a big space. I would cover the back and the sides of the tank with black construction paper or cardboard and get some fake plastic vines to fill it up a little and help make her feel more secure. Your temps and everything else sound good though, and it's good that you're going to be getting a digital thermometer
    i admit at first she didnt like the bigger cage but now she seems well used to and extremely happy in it!

Thanks
    Ended up feeding her a live hopper, she destroyed it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast