Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,088

0 members and 2,088 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Here are some pictures of Hot Pocket and its terrarium...

We use a heat lamp and an under-tank heater for the warm side. Also, at night there is a bulb that emits a low light and gives off heat still. The probe for the digital thermometer is inside the warm side hide and we have a hydrometer. This also provides an ambient temp for the tank. There is also a hide on the cool side (a half log with a blue towel behind it to block light). The big bath is on the cool side more or less also. We had vines in the tank at first but I think it was too crowded for him. We removed those and now he actually moves around a bit. We have been feeding him frozen fuzzies but I think those are too small...he's taken frozen both times we've fed him so far so that's good...Any suggestions, feel free to pass them on!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eeb38ca62b

Thanks
    Bump? I thought thjs site was a bit mor active, lol.

Thanks

Re: Here are some pictures of Hot Pocket and its terrarium...

I'm not at home now so I can't see the pictures (facebook doesn't work here) but from what you've written I'd say that you might do better to ditch the log hides and go for something else, something more enclosed like a rock hide or something of that sort. You're right about the fuzzies, they are definitely too small for any BP. As I can't see your pictures right now, I can't give you an accurate size recommendation, but when I get home this afternoon I can look and tell you if there haven't been any other answers.

Also, what temperature is your hot side? Are you using a thermostat to control your heaters? Those things can get too hot for BP's on their own, so together (UTH and light) I'd think it could get extremely hot. For good measure, what are your cool side temps?

Lastly, your BP moving about is not a good thing. Most often they'll be moving about if they're hungry ("hunting") or stressed. It sounds to me like the snake was comfortable with the vines, and then when you removed them you made him more stressed. You might want to put those back in.
    Last edited by Alexandra V; 01-27-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

Logic8807 (01-27-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post

Also, what temperature is your hot side? Are you using a thermostat to control your heaters? Those things can get too hot for BP's on their own, so together (UTH and light) I'd think it could get extremely hot. For good measure, what are your cool side temps?

Lastly, your BP moving about is not a good thing. Most often they'll be moving about if they're hungry ("hunting") or stressed. It sounds to me like the snake was comfortable with the vines, and then when you removed them you made him more stressed. You might want to put those back in.
    Agreed, BP's like it crowded. They feel more comfortable then.You need to monitor the uth temp as they get extremely warm and could butn the snake. Thermostats work well for this.
    Last edited by TheWinWizard; 01-27-2011 at 11:42 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheWinWizard For This Useful Post:

Logic8807 (01-27-2011)

Thanks

Nice bp!! Yeah, from the pics I'd say he could definitely move up to a small/adult mouse.

And actually your setup is pretty good. The half log isn't too bad since you put it up against the side of the tank and covered it. The cave hide looks a little too big for him, but if he's been eating it shouldn't be a problem. I would also suggest putting the vines back in though, it would definitely make him feel more secure. You could also cover the back and sides of the tank with black construction paper or cardboard.

Having both an UTH and a heat lamp seems a bit much for the warm side, but as long as your temps and humidity are correct (90-92F warm side, ~80F ambient, 50-60% humidity) then I'd say you're looking good
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blushingball419 For This Useful Post:

Logic8807 (01-27-2011)

Thanks
    The warm side remains at about 90 if I use the night light and the UTH and the cool side is 75 consistently. I'll add the vines back though. Thanks guys and gals!

Thanks
    I added the vines bacj and sure nough...he's back in his hides all comfortable like.

Thanks
    Good to hear.

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Woah time out....

You named your snake Hot Pocket?

Thanks
    Yeah...I knew nothing about Ball Pythons when I first got it. The guy at the Pet Store told us to set up the terrarium and then come back to pick him up because it was super cold out...like below freezing...so Hot Pocket!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast