Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,691

3 members and 2,688 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
    Thanks

Question Feeding questions

Well I see so many different methods for people feeding there ball pythons all of mine feed on frozen thawed and I was curious to people's method of how they prepare your frozen thawed rodents for feeding. Such as what are the steps you take, how long do you de-thaw, what methods of de-thawing do you use, etc...?

Thanks kindly,

Lance
    NEVER RELEASE FISH OR REPTILES OR ANY ANIMAL INTO THE WILD.

Please read the CARESHEET! to make sure you're doing the best you can for your pet.

Thanks
    Hi Lance,

Right now I'm feeding 20g - 29g F/T rat pups - I take them out of the freezer usually two hours before feeding and place them in a zip-loc bag. I place the bag with the rat inside into a bowl or hot water and let it sit for an hour and a half or so. Once I have verfied that the rat is fully thawed I refill the bowl with hot water to heat up the core temp of the rat again before feeding. After I take the rat out of the bowl I give him a quick blow dry with an old hair dryer to get his head nice and stinky grab him with my tongs and usually within the next 30 - 40 seconds he is dinner.

So yeah, thats my process - works for me and Tango. =)
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to el8ch For This Useful Post:

lance (01-27-2011)

Thanks

Re: Feeding questions

Careful with the above post. Rapid de-thawing in hot water can cause the rat to "explode". It also may cause the rat to cook on the outside and still be frozen on the inside.

I take out my rats the night before. Let em sit somewhere at room temp for 8-10 hours. Then when they are fully thawed I pop em in a ziploc face down. Fill a small lunch cooler with hot tap water. Pop the rats in the bag in the cooler for 30 minutes to an hour. Then the rats are about 98-105F... Bon appetit!

If the rats are any less then 90F the snakes won't touch it. Any hotter then 105F and I dunno, I don't go hotter lol.
    Last edited by Jeremy78; 01-26-2011 at 05:12 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy78 For This Useful Post:

lance (01-27-2011)

Thanks
    I just take out what I need the night before and throw it in the fridge. Then in the morning I take them out and let them thaw in a spare tub in the rack for a couple hours. Dip the head in hot tap water and feed. Works perfectly.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarin For This Useful Post:

lance (01-27-2011)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

For few snakes that get F/T or when they get F/T I thaw at room temp next to their enclosure and warm up with a hair dryer.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

lance (01-27-2011)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Jeremy78;1500230]Careful with the above post. Rapid de-thawing in hot water can cause the rat to "explode". It also may cause the rat to cook on the outside and still be frozen on the inside.QUOTE]

Hey Jeremy - point noted, thanks! I haven't had a problem to date as I thaw using more tepid water than hot, but given some of the responses and further reading looks like I'll just change methods and rather be 'safe than sorry'
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks
    Thank you all for the help I have been looking for this advise and been given so many different ones and now I am confident with what you all have shared that I can be more comfortable with feeding them now thanks again all.

Lance
    NEVER RELEASE FISH OR REPTILES OR ANY ANIMAL INTO THE WILD.

Please read the CARESHEET! to make sure you're doing the best you can for your pet.