Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,474

4 members and 1,470 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Daveb82 (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,222
Threads: 248,630
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Langdon
    Thanks

BP hide place...

I have 3 hides in his tank.
    1) a half log that has lots of bark in it to make it snug on him, it is under a 75 watt bulb. (most snug)
    2) a plastic tree that is over the uth. (least snug)
    3) a small plastic rock cave that is over a uth. (semi snug)

Instead of hiding in one of these, right now hes in the corner of the tank, not hiding in anything, over the uth. He is on top of the uth, but is choosing not to be on top of the uth inside of a hide...Why???? generally he loves all of his hides, and will find him in any one at any given point of the day

Thanks
    What is your husbandry like? Temps on hot/cool side, ambient air temp etc. It is pretty much a given to give a much detail with regards to your husbandry and tank setup before any answers start coming your way. Any changes to his living environment (new substrate etc?)...

Typically it is recommended to have two identical hides on both your hot side and cool side so that your snake can feel secure and thermoregulate without having to choose between the hide he likes best.

I'm sure others will have lots of insight for you once you post up the specifics...
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks

Re: BP hide place...

As long as your temps and humidity are good (90-92F hot side, ~80F ambient, 50-60% humidity) and nothing has changed in his enclosure, he's probably just being a ball python. Sometimes they just seem to like to sit on top of their hides instead of inside them.

I would also recommend getting another plastic cave type hide for the cool side though, or at least moving the half log so one end of it is up against the side of the enclosure. Half logs are just too open for bps, even with bark stuffed in it. But if these are the same hides that you've had for a while and you've never had any problems, then it's probably not that big of a deal. I wouldn't worry about it unless he stops eating, bps are weird sometimes You'll probably find him back in one of his hides in a couple of days.
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

Thanks
    Well just make sure all the temps and humidity are within the right range and then we can go from there. Use digital thermometers to check these things, analog pet store thermometers are NOT accurate at all.

This might just be normal ball python behavior, mine do it on occasion even with a perfect hide. Just make sure they are eating well and look in good health, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it much.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa