Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,177

0 members and 2,177 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
    Thanks

I've looked but have not been able to find....

I've looked around here and the internet for a approx size chart that would give you a GENERAL idea of how much your BP should weigh at a specific age or size. Does anyone have anything they can refer me to?

Basically something that says the average hatchling weighs X amount to X amount; a one month old weighs.... 3 months old weighs....6 months...year...

Again I know it varies, I am just trying to gage where mine should be at right now.

Thanks

Re: I've looked but have not been able to find....

I know, it's going to seem annoying, but you simply can't come up with a general thing like that as you can with, say, dogs, because ball pythons and other snakes can be influenced more by external factors during their development than an animal that doesn't develop in an egg.

The only advice I can give you for judging how your snake is doing now is by looking at it. If it doesn't have a "triangular" shape to it and it's looking nice and voluptuous, then you have nothing to worry about in the size department. Weight is a very subjective thing, and the numbers aren't as important as the actual snake itself.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is none it's about knowing the animal you have, your BP as a long way to go before being transfered to another enclosure.

At 90 grams I would not consider upgrading to anything before at least another year even than I would not recommend transitioning to a 30 gallons tank but something in between or better save your money get a plastic tub and get a 30 gallons tank when your BP is about full grown.

Full grown BP can spend their entire life in a 30 gallons tank.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    The only advice I can give you for judging how your snake is doing now is by looking at it. If it doesn't have a "triangular" shape to it and it's looking nice and voluptuous, then you have nothing to worry about in the size department. Weight is a very subjective thing, and the numbers aren't as important as the actual snake itself.
    +1

You can have a snake the eats 2 weeks out of the egg or have one that takes 2 months to eat, so the one that ate first is going to be significantly bigger, then all of a sudden it will decide it wants to fast and not gain any weight for a few more months, so by the end of one year you could have one snake only weighing 500 grams and another weighing 1000 lol. it varies so much we can't give you an answer thats going to help at all.

Thanks

There really is no way to tell you what your snake should look like at a certain age. There is to many things that go into the factor of growing and weight gain. Hunsbandy, feeding, prey items, successful shed, hydrated etc.

I thought id just snap a few pics of my two snakes. They are relatively the same age, Kya is maybe a week or two older, maybe more. Close enough i guess... *shrug*
    Forgive me for the terrible pictures

Kya is the pastel, she hasn't missed a meal since I've had her. Great feeder! I also moved her up to small rats before Deltra, due to the fact that Deltra was really picky over mice and rats for a bit.

Hope this helped.
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Spider

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    There is none it's about knowing the animal you have, your BP as a long way to go before being transfered to another enclosure.

At 90 grams I would not consider upgrading to anything before at least another year even than I would not recommend transitioning to a 30 gallons tank but something in between or better save your money get a plastic tub and get a 30 gallons tank when your BP is about full grown.

Full grown BP can spend their entire life in a 30 gallons tank.
    I wasn't even considering moving her from her 10 gallon tank yet. Not sure where this came from. I didn't say anything about 30 gallon tank or moving her.

I just wanted a general idea of where she should be at at any certain age. I understand though what everyone else is saying.

And thanks for the pic comparrison!
    Last edited by BroknBusted; 01-20-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroknBusted View Post
    I wasn't even considering moving her from her 10 gallon tank yet. Not sure where this came from. I didn't say anything about 30 gallon tank or moving her.

I just wanted a general idea of where she should be at at any certain age. I understand though what everyone else is saying.

And thanks for the pic comparrison!

No problem
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Spider