Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,167

0 members and 2,167 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torn muscles?

Thanks

Torn muscles?

So this little recue I got a few days ago is eating just fine and seems to be thickening up already and isnt acting strange at all. He hangs out in his hide most of the time. My question though is about halfway down his body his color fades and it almost feels like he has torn muscles. You can feel ridges all along his sides. Very strange! It almost seems like he doesnt have a lot of feeling in that area either. His first half he responds to and also the tip of his tail, but the faded and dented part he doesnt. Almost like not enough circulation to that part of him? I don't know. Any ideas? (PS: He just shed so I know it's not that, and his husbandry is awesome now)

Notice the color change from front to back:

Here you can see the denting that you can feel with no mistake:

I know he is underweight, but I dont think he is supposed to fell like that
    Ball Pythons:
    1.7 Normal 1.0 Spider 1.1 Cinnamons
    1.1 Mojaves 0.1 Pastel 0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Others:1.0 Mexican King Snakes 0.2 Dogs - Gracie and Loba 1.0 Three Legged Cat - O'Doyle
    1.0 Red Iguana - Rex 2.0 Umbrella Cockatoos 0.2 Rose Breasted Cockatoos
    2.7 Button Quail 2.12 Breeder/Pet Rats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    When you take him out, place him on the bed or floor, watch his movement, if it's effortless and smooth I wouldn't worry.
    He does look a little crinkly, after a few good meals and a couple sheds he should be ok.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Well it doesnt seem like his back half is as strong as his front half
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Others:1.0 Mexican King Snakes 0.2 Dogs - Gracie and Loba 1.0 Three Legged Cat - O'Doyle

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like he has a massive pee or poop..I've had hatchlings get that bloated, water balloon look and feel to them when they pee they're just fine, if you're really worried then a vet visit is in order.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    he also looks like he's in shed.... very under weight though. my youngest was wrinkley like that when i go him and he was under weight and hadn't pooped as well, looked bloated and like they said, couple feeds and shed later, he's all better.
    0.1 Normal (Sookie)
    1.0 Pastel (Syler)
    0.1 BumbleBee (Scully)
    1.0 Butter (Gimme)
    0.1 Mojave (Saffy)
    1.0 Albino (Leopold)
    1.0 Pinstripe (Triston)
    1.0 Basset/Beagle Mix (Bilbo)
    0.1 Basset Hound (Mimi)
    a bunch of red eared sliders
    and the oldest, male pit/mix Corky. 18yrs strong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts
    His color doesn't actually change. It is an optical illusion. What is occuring is that the animal is full of gas. It has expanded and stretched the back half of the snake out. The scales are stretched so far apart that you are seeing the skin between each scale (the skin is white). This gives the look of a snake that appears to be going into shed. My bet would be that if you feel just anterior of the vent, you will feel some sort of "blockage". Possibly a large urate ball that cannot be passed, or may pass very soon. I just recently had a hatchling like this, and manually palpated out the urate (in some cases it could be some other form of impaction), and was able to gently palpate out the gas by "stripping" my finger from the head towards the tail and pushing the gas out that was present behind the blockage. Sometimes there is liquid urine behind the blocake. After this is done, your snake will look "deflated", but should go back to normal.

note: If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, trying to find an experienced herper or vet in your area to help you.

I hope that helps,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

Courtney281 (01-20-2011),Miko (01-21-2011),thedarkwolf25 (01-21-2011)

Thanks

Re: Torn muscles?

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    His color doesn't actually change. It is an optical illusion. What is occuring is that the animal is full of gas. It has expanded and stretched the back half of the snake out. The scales are stretched so far apart that you are seeing the skin between each scale (the skin is white). This gives the look of a snake that appears to be going into shed. My bet would be that if you feel just anterior of the vent, you will feel some sort of "blockage". Possibly a large urate ball that cannot be passed, or may pass very soon. I just recently had a hatchling like this, and manually palpated out the urate (in some cases it could be some other form of impaction), and was able to gently palpate out the gas by "stripping" my finger from the head towards the tail and pushing the gas out that was present behind the blockage. Sometimes there is liquid urine behind the blocake. After this is done, your snake will look "deflated", but should go back to normal.

note: If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, trying to find an experienced herper or vet in your area to help you.

I hope that helps,
    Thank you SO much for that reply. Tonight I will soak him in warm water to hopefully relax and soften anything that may be in there, and give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Thanks
    WOW! I can't believe what a difference that made. He isn't nearly as bloated now (though still has some bloating left). I figure if it's still there tomorrow, we'll do it again. I got him to poop, pee, and there was A LOT of gas in there. I never knew they could retain gas like that. Is it something that happened because he is so underfed/unhealthy? He is 8+ months old and only weighed in at 105g when I got him a week ago. He is also moving better and seems like he feels a lot more "relieved" hehehe Again, thanks so much for your help. I would have felt really silly taking him to the vet and for them to tell me he has gas
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Thanks
    Wow I would have never guessed that snake was over 8 months old. I am glad you got the problem figured out I would have never guessed that myself.

Thanks
    Yeah he was a gift for someone in June, the poor baby. I just hope he pulls through for me. He's such a sweety. I pulled him out to check on him tonight and layed him out on my bed, and all he wanted to do was get close to me and snuggle (yes I know it's cause I'm warm, but I thought it was cute anyway)
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast