Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,067

2 members and 2,065 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons

View Poll Results: Pastel or Spider

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go for a spider

8 25.00%
  • Go for a pastel

13 40.63%
  • Go with your gut instinct

11 34.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question What would you choose

Ok, so im going to be getting my first ball python in a month or two, But the only thing i am stuck on is what to get. So ive had my mind stuck on a pastel for a few months now and well until a few hours ago i was certain that was what i was going to get, but i really like the look of spiders aswell. Also some people say that pastels loose there colours over time and they can eventually end up looking like normals, anyway im just wondering what you guys think i should go for a pastel or a spider considering i want something that is going to be bright and beautiful all of its life.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What would you choose

I think it depends on how patient you are when it comes time to buy...and how much you're willing to spend. There are some fabulous pastels out there that will hold their color very well. But you have to be patient enough to find the one you really love...and maybe be willing to spend a little extra for an exceptional pastel.

Spiders are awesome, too, and of course they will maintain their uniqueness because the pattern doesn't "fade". But you run the risk of getting one that wobbles.

If I were in your shoes and got to choose one of those two morphs as a first snake...I'd go for a pastel...but I'd be very picky and very patient to find just the right one.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Hi thanks for the feedback,

"I think it depends on how patient you are when it comes time to buy...and how much you're willing to spend".

I am deffinately willing to wait as long as it takes to find the right snake as it is going to be my first, and something that i will have for a long time, also im looking to spend upto £200.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post

"I think it depends on how patient you are when it comes time to buy...and how much you're willing to spend".

I am deffinately willing to wait as long as it takes to find the right snake as it is going to be my first, and something that i will have for a long time, also im looking to spend upto £200.
    I have both of them and I love them both but they are still very young so its hard to tell if they will hold their color. Best bet is to wait for a reptile show then u can see them in all in person and they are cheaper and u will save on shipping. Im guessing ur looking for a male snake because most females may run u a little over 200 euros

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post

you can easily pick up a 2010 pastel with that. I'd go with a pastel or another codominate morph. if you like the pastels then go for it and if ever get into breeding down the road a pastel is a wonderful morph to work with. it's actually my first project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Xan Powers!
    -Going back to being active-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Id wait out for a nice pastel female, really can't go wrong with them, in most peoples budgets, breeding potential, and if you just keep her as a pet, still awesome looking.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's about what YOU like however if you chose spider make sure you do your research, spiders are not for everyone
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Look at the babies, go with the one you are drawn to most and what one is the better feeder.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You didn't say whether you are getting a male or a female. If you are going to get a female I say pastel all the way! They are codom so they have a super form, and you can never have too many female pastels (spiders are dominate and do not have a super form). If you're getting a male either one would be great. It really depends on what you want.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback guys,
    completely forgot about telling you guys the sex, i am looking for a male mainly because it is my first snake and even though the size's dont varie much between males and females i would prefer a smaller snake to start of with, i am from the UK so there are not many shows on really but there are some great shops so i think i will pay a visit to a few of them and go with what i was originally going to go with which was a pastel, but i am going to wait and look for a pastel that appeals to me.
    once again thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast