Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,003

0 members and 2,003 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I think my Zephyr has scale rot

I've never dealt with this before so I can only speculate, but Zephyr had an injury to his neck back in November where a rat tore open the surface of the skin on his neck. Ever since this happen, and it has since healed, he has been soaking and soaking. I keep the cage very clean, and he shares it with two other snakes. I'm a vet tech but I haven't ever had a snake with this so I'm not sure if it's the real thing. His tummy looks kind of streaked with red in some areas, and today I noticed he had some dried blood on him. I rinsed him clean and noticed the scales underneath looked rather raw. I know using antibiotic ointment is contraindicated for use in reptiles so I used a small amount of tea tree oil to help clean and soothe the area. I also have him on baytril for another unrelated problem. Does this condition require a trip to the vet or can it be managed with home care? He's my favorite snake and I want to do everything I can to make him well again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks
    It sounds like you are doing a very good job in caring for your snake's injury. I think you should continue with what you are doing, and about the antibiotics, you can use a small amount of neosporin without pain killer on the afflicted areas. Keep doing what you are doing and the redness should go away, however, if he doesn't, I would seek higher medical attention for your snake.
    Last edited by Austenh96; 01-15-2011 at 10:30 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Austenh96 For This Useful Post:

VitriolBlue (01-15-2011)

Thanks

Re: I think my Zephyr has scale rot

Quote Originally Posted by Austenh96 View Post
    It sounds like you are doing a very good job in caring for your snake's injury. I think you should continue with what you are doing, and about the antibiotics, you can use a small amount of neosporin without pain killer on the afflicted areas. Keep doing what you are doing and the redness should go away, however, if he doesn't, I would seek higher medical attention.
    Thank you! I'm doing my best, but I wanted to make sure I knew what I was dealing with before I made any other decisions. I still think a trip to the vet may be in order just to ease my mind!

Thanks

Honestly, you probably know more than I do. How deep was the wound? Do you have pics? Is your husbandry set up correctly (what are your temps etc...) Is it possible it's a reaction to the baytril? Personally I'd take mine to the vet if it doesn't look like a pink belly from shed and doesn't clear after a week. Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VitriolBlue View Post
    Thank you! I'm doing my best, but I wanted to make sure I knew what I was dealing with before I made any other decisions. I still think a trip to the vet may be in order just to ease my mind!
    My pleasure, I am more than happy to help out a fellow bp owner.
    You could take it to the vet if you really wanted to to relieve your mind, but, on the other hand, I think he will make it along just fine if you continue with what you're doing. I wouldn't stress over your snakes ordeal too much as long as it's condition is gradually improving.

p.s. be sure that the baytril and tree tea oil that you are using are snake friendly! You wouldn't want something like that worsening your snakes condition.
    Last edited by Austenh96; 01-15-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Off the top of my head I'd say the temps were about 79 during the day and 75 at night. His last shed was Jan 1 and another one a few weeks before that due to his injury. Ever since that happened, it's like he can't get enough of the water. How long do bellies stay pink after a shed? He's never had a reaction to baytril before. Can silver sulfadiazathine work on scale rot?

Thanks
    if its scale rot the baytril is probably what the vet would give you but someone correct me if i'm wrong
    pics would help
    Last edited by shadow120; 01-15-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks
    here is a thread with some pics of scale rot. Belly/scale rot I wouldn NOT use anything not perscribed by a reputable herp vet. (except neosporin thinly applied) A friend of mine used a silver based compound given to him by a vet to treat a minor mouth infection (no experience with reptiles) and it killed his berm a week later.
    Last edited by DLoc; 01-15-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VitriolBlue View Post
    Off the top of my head I'd say the temps were about 79 during the day and 75 at night. His last shed was Jan 1 and another one a few weeks before that due to his injury. Ever since that happened, it's like he can't get enough of the water. How long do bellies stay pink after a shed? He's never had a reaction to baytril before. Can silver sulfadiazathine work on scale rot?
    I had never heard of silver sulfadiazathine before, but a google search on it indicates it is a topical disinfectant commonly used for reptiles, so that would definetly help the situation. The pink belly can remain on the snake after shedding probably for a couple weeks max.
    Last edited by Austenh96; 01-15-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks
    yeah iv heard baytril can make this happen when my snake goes on antibiotics he has fortum i think its called that . your temps sound very cold ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast