Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,408

5 members and 2,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Underside Redness

I have a male pastel BP and a granite BP that are a mating pair... They reside in a tank, as opposed to a tub on a rack system. They have adequate water, heating, and live on wood chips and have wood structure. Their heat supply is by heat lamp well above the snakes, and a heat pad on the adjacent side under the tank.

I haven't seen this issue, but I have seen scale rot before, in pictures, but my snakes both have gotten a red/pink hued underside, when it used to be white. I am concerned for them both, and could provide pictures if necessary.

Is this something I should be worried about? I know the temperature within the tank is within the norm, and that the section of wood sitting on the glass that has the heating pad underneath it, is no where near hot enough to cause a burn. I have even taken precautionary measures, and added more wood bedding on top of the location where the heating pad resides.

Please advise me, if possible.

Thanks,

Zachary.

Thanks

Re: Underside Redness

could be the start of the shed cycle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turk621 For This Useful Post:

K2exotics (01-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turk621 View Post
    could be the start of the shed cycle
    thats what I was thinking too both my girls turn pink.
    Lurker.Learner.Lover... Of all things creepy crawly and otherwise completely amazing!
    ~The Ladies~
    Normals ~Kaa & Zhena
    Mojave~ Samus Aran
    66%Het Caramel~ Zelda
    Cinny~ Phedre
    ~The Gents~
    100% het Caramel~ Mehen
    Super Pastel~ Cassanova
    Pastel~ Tank
    Cinny~ Jocelyn
    The Leopard Gecko~ Murphy's Patternless female~ George
    All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts

Thanks
    Honestly, I haven't really picked them up and taken a look at their undersides prior to a shed, so I wouldn't know. Right now they're being jerks, as I just tried to pick them up to take pictures to post here, and they're throwing a fit. So I'm going to leave them be for now... as they are both sitting on the place where the heating pad would be with a low heat IR light is on, above them.

I guess the pictures will have to wait.

Thanks
    If u just got them then it sounds like a shed, especially if they are moody, just keep an eye on it, if it looks like a faded red/ pink it's probably just about to shed, up humidity a little

Thanks
    Hi,

My snake is going through this exact thing as we speak. About 4 days ago she developed a red/pinkish color all along her underside, and I assumed the worse. I was wrong, and the people here at ball-pythons.net told me she was going into shed. They were right, and dead scales are starting to peel off as expected, along with her eyes clouding up in a blueish tint. I am expected her to shed any day now. This is probably what is going on with your snakes. However, I could be wrong, so until your snakes show other signs of shedding, I would keep an eye on it.

P.s. if you see tiny specks of scabbing along with the pinkish skin, that is normal.
    Last edited by Austenh96; 01-15-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

I know everybody seems to think that they are at the begining of a shed, but think about the other possibility. Thermal burns. You have an unregulated heat pad covered by some type of wood and more substrate? How and where are you measuring the temps. If the substrate is too thick, it will act like an insulator and the heat will build up under it, and when the snakes move the substrate and touch the glass, they can get burned. You might want to invest in a thermostat. Do you keep these snakes together all of the time or only for breeding?
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    I only keep these snakes together for breeding. The male has a separate tank. I also separate them ever so often to let him regain his strength and to feed. There is a Zoo Med heat pad under the glass, but on top of that glass sits what is clearly about 3-4 inches of reptile bedding. The wood is not getting nearly hot enough to cause burns. I have three thermometers at different points on this tank. There is one under the basking light which varies in temperature from 86ºF to 79ºF (depends if it's on or off), one under the IR light and above the heating pad but close to the ground, which stays at 81ºF degrees, and one near the water bowl, which stays at a nice 79ºF. They're well within acceptable temperatures.

I was worried about the wood causing burns as well, however, I have indeed seen a snake that experienced burns before... I do not believe that's the case here... I did stick a thermometer into the wood until it was touching the glass, to see what the glass was reading out to be. Keep in mind, this was with the IR light off, to ensure no residual heat was affecting the read-out. It came out to only 84ºF on the actual glass. I could only assume that the wood that is in contact with the snake on the top of the region is only less.

And I would believe that if a snake was experiencing burns from that region, they would stay away from that region, as the other sections of the tank do not have heating wires or pads or anything underneath. But they love that corner, even when I clean the cage out, as I did today, I'll drop them where there is not a heat pad, and they'll always go towards the pad and ball up there.
    Last edited by zmd0827; 01-16-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks
    So I finally pulled them out, to have a better look. They're not being pissy any more. Upon closer examination, the female is not nearly as pink as the male. The male, a pastel, has splotchy, although pretty consistent, pinkish hue to his underside. However, some of his scales have become slightly flaked on edges, and some have notches in them, as though he's been creating a lot of friction on certain scales. I have never, honestly, looked underneath the snakes in all the time I've owned them when they were about to shed, so I don't have anything to relate to.

I do not know if this means I'm overreacting or being paranoid, but I'm trying to provide more details to help you guys help me. I'm just worried for the well being of the two of them, as they are practically children to me.

Thanks guys for your help, in advance.

Thanks
    If the scales seem to be flaky I would go with pre-shed. Some of my snakes get pinker than others

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend