Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,090

1 members and 2,089 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
    Thanks

Ball Python sick, appers to be full of air??

Hey guys, my buddy just got a female ball python at some show.. about a week ago. He said after a few days it appeared to have an upper respiratory infection, open mouth breathing, popping etc. He took to a vet that gave it a shot bayatril(sp?) and some drops. Hes been giving her the drops for a few days. Anyway he called me this morning, vet not open yet, and told me she looks puffy from about half way down her body to her tail, almost as if she is full of air..he can press on her body and it seems to balloon back.. Anyone know anything about this? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks
    maybe a side effect from baytril ? my vet usees fortum i think thats wat its called instead of baytril she says its better .

Thanks

Re: Ball Python sick, appers to be full of air??

Quote Originally Posted by kasmiraross View Post
    maybe a side effect from baytril ? my vet usees fortum i think thats wat its called instead of baytril she says its better .
    Could be I thought the same but he said its not isolated to the area of the injection, it as if the entire tail area from mid body down it inflated..

Thanks

when a snake is sick and cant breathe they can become bloated due to the amount of air retained from open-mouthed-breathing. try to feed smaller meals for a few weeks and with anti-biotics she should get better. also, she will have some gas so watch out lol
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks

Well his concern was it may continue to fill up with air?? Not sure that's possible.. also could this be do to compacted stool? In talking to him, he mentioned it may have swallowed some of the aspen bedding while feeding.. if so are there any remedies for compacted snakes? Thanks a ton guys..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    also can be due to constipation. When they cant relieve themselves they swell up on the lower half.

Soaking in warm water will help relieve that pressure as well help the breathing from the warm water/air

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-14-2011),K2exotics (01-15-2011),PitOnTheProwl (01-15-2011)

Thanks

Alright so he brought her over and wow she was puffed up. Almost see through Towards her tail. We soaked her in some tepid water. Slightly warm for about 20 mins. She let out a whole lot of air and passed some urine. She looks a little deflated. She's on meds, he left her with me over night. I'm going tp try Amd get her to feed on something small as she hasn't eaten in almost 2 weeks and she's very young. Under 150grams. Thanks for all the great info and people who were willing to help! I'll keep you guys updated!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Sounds like she had a minor blockage(possible urates or a piece of feces) and it made more urine build up(also gasses). I would hold off on feeding her and give her guts a chance to heal before you put more food in her.

Just my $0.02, I had a hatchling do that before and warm water soaking and a light massage of the vent made her purge out all the urates and poo, then she seemed okay. I didn't feed right away as with all that swelling I figured there had to be inflamation and tender flesh, so I waited an extra week.

Hope she does well, but have him watch to see if she needs the warm water soak again(before she gets quite so swollen again).
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    yeah i would wait till feeding her see if she poohs