Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,257

4 members and 1,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,223
Threads: 248,634
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, mizmenabee

Thread: Racks

Thanks

Racks

So I am designing my racks because there is a good chance I will be moving next fall and I want my dad ( who works as a carpenter) help in building them So I have run into a few questions and thought I would defer to the more experienced ball python keepers on here

What size tubs for adult females/males?
    Do people usually have a separate rack for breeding or just use one of the adult tubs?
    what size tubs would you use when breeding ( if you do use different tubs)?
    Would you divide the hatchling tubs on each level or just leave them all able to see movement through the sides?
    How large of a hatchling rack ( how many tubs) would you build to house the offspring from maybe 5 clutches?

I just want some opinions and ideas that have worked for others so that I can take it all into consideration while building my own racks Any and all input is appreciated.
    Lurker.Learner.Lover... Of all things creepy crawly and otherwise completely amazing!
    ~The Ladies~
    Normals ~Kaa & Zhena
    Mojave~ Samus Aran
    66%Het Caramel~ Zelda
    Cinny~ Phedre
    ~The Gents~
    100% het Caramel~ Mehen
    Super Pastel~ Cassanova
    Pastel~ Tank
    Cinny~ Jocelyn
    The Leopard Gecko~ Murphy's Patternless female~ George
    All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Here is a pic of my racks, 6qt hatchling / 28qt / 41qt

Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

K2exotics (01-13-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: Racks

Quote Originally Posted by MommaK View Post
    Do people usually have a separate rack for breeding or just use one of the adult tubs?
    Would you divide the hatchling tubs on each level or just leave them all able to see movement through the sides?
    How large of a hatchling rack ( how many tubs) would you build to house the offspring from maybe 5 clutches?
    1. Depending on the female 28/32q-41q, males only need 28/32q
    2. Same tubs
    3. ---
    4. i use dividers for support, I go 2 tubs then divider, 2 more tubs divider, ect.
    5. This varies from female to female, average is around 5-6 eggs maybe? so id say 30. but if the snake gods love you and all your females go and lay big clutches, might need more

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

K2exotics (01-13-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Racks

Quote Originally Posted by MommaK View Post
    So I am designing my racks because there is a good chance I will be moving next fall and I want my dad ( who works as a carpenter) help in building them So I have run into a few questions and thought I would defer to the more experienced ball python keepers on here

I just want some opinions and ideas that have worked for others so that I can take it all into consideration while building my own racks Any and all input is appreciated.
    I'd go with shoebox containers from thecontainerstore.com for hatchlings. 28qt sterilites for small adults and 41qt sterilites for bigger adults. As far at how many hatchling tubs you want, I'd go with 'more is better' because the variation that is possible from 5 clutches is very great. Seeing as the average clutch size for a ball python is around 4-12 eggs your needs for hatchlings varies from 20-60tubs(at the extremes)...personally I would go with no dividers between hatchling tubs simply cause I dont know how to do it..but if you have a carpenter handy then I'd say go for it! lol. I have/plan to have different racks for each size of tub..just cause I think it is easier, partially because I use/plan to use different styles of heat for each tub(4" back heat for hatchling tubs, 4" belly heat for 28 qt, and 11" belly heat for 41qt). Hope this was helpful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Powerspythons For This Useful Post:

K2exotics (01-13-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for the responces.. I am glad to hear I dont need anything bigger than 41q.. it was starting to look like I would need a snake house not room. LOL.
    Lurker.Learner.Lover... Of all things creepy crawly and otherwise completely amazing!
    ~The Ladies~
    Normals ~Kaa & Zhena
    Mojave~ Samus Aran
    66%Het Caramel~ Zelda
    Cinny~ Phedre
    ~The Gents~
    100% het Caramel~ Mehen
    Super Pastel~ Cassanova
    Pastel~ Tank
    Cinny~ Jocelyn
    The Leopard Gecko~ Murphy's Patternless female~ George
    All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts