Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,342

0 members and 2,342 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
    Thanks

Question Eye caps? / Behaivor

Greetings All,

I've been lurking around her for several months now. This seems to be a great community, and I've learned tons off this forum and a few others like it.

I recently purchased a '10 bp after doing a lot of home work, and no surprise, I still have a lot of learning to do. He doesn't have a name yet, I kinda feel a name for him should be earned so I'm playing it out. When I got him he was just going into shed. His eyes went white and cleared. He shed some time between yesterday afternoon and this am. It appeared to be all one piece. It was all rolled up in a small ball and it appeared he BM'ed in it too. I'm trying not to handle him to much on the concern of stress from moving. I see no signs of stuck skin on his body. There is a small white spot on his head but I see no obvious signs of stuck eye caps. I know these pictures suck (iPhones suck at EVERYTHING) but I was hoping for a confirmation his eyes are alright.

I'm still struggling with my temps and humidity, and have currently settled for the time being on keeping my temps safe, though my humidity is too low. Since the first night I put him in the tank, I haven't witnessed him moving much, if at all more recently. He just stays in his hides, hot hide during shed, cold hide since. Since he's shed he's much more active when I hold him, though completely docile at all times.

I'm using what I believe to be a 40gal tank (too big I know), UTH 30-40 size, 75w "red" heat lamp, visible lamp on timer. I have two hides, though not identical. I have moss in the hot hide because he was in shed and my humidity is low.

Ambient: 89-90 and 79-80 degs. 39% humidity
    Hot Hide: 89-94 65-70% humidity
    UTH actual temp: 108-113

Weight: 164g pre shed 161g post.
    Haven t offered him food yet, probably tomorrow night.

first pic white eyes, next two post shed. Excuse my big ugly mechanic hands.

Thanks
    Can't tell much about his eyes from these pics. Otherwise, he looks fine to me. Let us know what you decide to name him. iPhones do suck, don't they?
    The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be.
    --Justin J. Conures

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wallyblue For This Useful Post:

Nic Bednarz (01-11-2011)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    There's no telling from those pics, sorry.

But basically if it came off in one big rolled-up sock like that, there are no problems. That's pretty much a perfect shed.

The white spot on the head is probably where he was rubbing to get the shed started--the spot will disappear or move around after the next shed, because he'll rub someplace slightly different next time.

If you want to be completely sure you can soak the rolled-up shed until it softens enough that you can unroll it all the way to look for the eye caps. Which will be rolled up somewhere at the very beginning.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loonunit For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-11-2011),Nic Bednarz (01-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Eye caps? / Behaivor

Quote Originally Posted by Nic Bednarz View Post

I'm using what I believe to be a 40gal tank (too big I know), UTH 30-40 size, 75w "red" heat lamp, visible lamp on timer. I have two hides, though not identical. I have moss in the hot hide because he was in shed and my humidity is low.

Ambient: 89-90 and 79-80 degs. 39% humidity
    Hot Hide: 89-94 65-70% humidity
    UTH actual temp: 108-113
    Your humidity problem is probably coming from the lights and open screen top. If you cover the the screen (except where the lights go) with aluminum foil or a piece of plexiglass with holes cut in it for the lights, that will help out alot. Here are a couple of links to threads showing some different ways to do this:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...p-w-pics-*DUW*

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...tment-Tutorial

If the humidity still doesn't get high enough, you may need to get a spray bottle and mist the tank a couple times a day.
    What type of substrate are you using and how thick is the layer? And are you using a thermostat or rheostat to control your UTH? I'm just asking because your UTH temp is a bit high and the type and thickness or your substrate will affect both humidity and temps...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Nic Bednarz (01-11-2011)

Thanks

I'm using exo-terra's forest bark (recommended by local reptile store) for substrate. The UTH is on a Zoo Med rheostat, set to min though the temps are still high. I have a single layer of aluminum foil over the top, cut to outline the lamps. I have been hesitant to adhere multiple layers of foil with tape b/c of the mess tape makes if it doesn't work. I'm considering better insulating 3 sides of the tank and sealing off the top better but I still don't believe the one uth will be enough. Two UTH with seperate thermostats would possibly work but would be some $$.... Hmm....

Opinions on his behavior of pretty much hiding out? I Know that's pretty much their style but I am admittedly worried having not seen him out and about much. I haven't offered him a food yet, Thursday would have been his feeding day back at the breeder. I was gonna wait for a sign of more activity out of him and of course watch his weight. I don't really have a game plan for a live refused meal, haha.

Thanks for the help
    Listen to Tom Waits

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

If you don't want to use tape on the screen, you can try covering it the way I used to on my glass tanks. I measured the distance across the actual screen. Then I cut up a cardboard box into strips of that length and wrapped each one in foil. They will sit snug between the frame. I chose to use multiple panels because I could add or remove them to accomodate the lamp in the winter. If you decide to try this just make sure you have about a 1 inch or so gap between the panel and lamp. Here are some pics of what it looked like:

Without the lamp being used.

When ever I needed the lamp, remove some panels and position the lamp.

Then I would fold a couple of pieces of foil into strips and use it to cover some of the gap between the panels and lamp.

"Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

ive had great results with the foil too.. though the kitties like to squish and play with the foil but i think they are gonna mess with everything anyways.