Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,197

0 members and 2,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How often to try to feed a reluctant feeder?

Hey guys,

My new ball python has been a reluctant feed for the past month and a half. Right now I'm just playing the waiting game, but I was wondering how often I should try to feed him? Every day? Every other? Or weekly?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: How often to try to feed a reluctant feeder?

Quote Originally Posted by Zargoon View Post
    Hey guys,

My new ball python has been a reluctant feed for the past month and a half. Right now I'm just playing the waiting game, but I was wondering how often I should try to feed him? Every day? Every other? Or weekly?

Thanks in advance.
    Once a week.

And I would try to describe your husbandry. It sounds like your ball python is stressed out about something that can be fixed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Once a week.

And I would try to describe your husbandry. It sounds like your ball python is stressed out about something that can be fixed.
    Or it could just be a BP being a BP. Mine has been off feed for 2 weeksnow

Thanks

Are you feeding F/T? If so try entiiiiiicing him...lol
    Thaw out the feeder and set it near his cage/tub so he can smell it but dont let him see it. Get the aroma going and watch what he does. If it drives him crazy then go for it

Thanks
    Once a week is fine, if you want to get him eating again you could try live prey or scenting an F/T or live mouse with gerbil bedding. He could also be fasting because it is breeding season, but that depends on his age.
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkwolf25 View Post
    Once a week is fine, if you want to get him eating again you could try live prey or scenting an F/T or live mouse with gerbil bedding. He could also be fasting because it is breeding season, but that depends on his age.
    I just moved to a new house and this week my male hasn't been too eager to eat. He is about 2 years old and had started to be a reluctant eater since the fall. What age do they reach maturity? I thought it was 3 years but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks
    Here's what I posted on another thread about what's gong on with him:

So about a month ago I got my ball python Syntax.

He's awesome. However, he seems really stressed out. He moves all the time, he seems to try to escape his cage a lot, and when I feed him he has zero interest in his food and just tries to escape the box that I put him in. It's been about a month since he fed (when I got him).

I know that part of the problem is that he was previously feed live food, and I am currently trying to feed him frozen. I have followed what I've read online, use tongs to make it run around, I've even left him in the box with the rat for extended periods of time and when I come back he is still trying to escape. I eventually take him out because I'm worried for that so much activity is bad for him.

I change the water about every day, mist regularly, and monitor the temperature. I try to cover is already rather opaque enclosure with a towel to make it seem more secure.

Now when I bought this snake my friend also bought a ball python too. They both live in the same enclosure right now, but we are planning to separate them in a few months. I know that this can cause stress to the snake, but right now there isn't anything I can do about it.

So my question is: other than separating them, what can I do to try and minimize his stress? How long should I wait before giving him live food, taking him to the vet, ect?

Also it may be relevant to note that both of the snakes are juveniles. The other snake refused food at first, but has feed the last two weeks. We got them from the same breeder so that's what makes me think that he should be feeding by now, and that the rats are the right size.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shark View Post
    Or it could just be a BP being a BP. Mine has been off feed for 2 weeksnow
    I love ur pic lol!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zargoon View Post
    Here's what I posted on another thread about what's gong on with him:

So about a month ago I got my ball python Syntax.

He's awesome. However, he seems really stressed out. He moves all the time, he seems to try to escape his cage a lot, and when I feed him he has zero interest in his food and just tries to escape the box that I put him in. It's been about a month since he fed (when I got him).

I know that part of the problem is that he was previously feed live food, and I am currently trying to feed him frozen. I have followed what I've read online, use tongs to make it run around, I've even left him in the box with the rat for extended periods of time and when I come back he is still trying to escape. I eventually take him out because I'm worried for that so much activity is bad for him.

I change the water about every day, mist regularly, and monitor the temperature. I try to cover is already rather opaque enclosure with a towel to make it seem more secure.

Now when I bought this snake my friend also bought a ball python too. They both live in the same enclosure right now, but we are planning to separate them in a few months. I know that this can cause stress to the snake, but right now there isn't anything I can do about it.

So my question is: other than separating them, what can I do to try and minimize his stress? How long should I wait before giving him live food, taking him to the vet, ect?

Also it may be relevant to note that both of the snakes are juveniles. The other snake refused food at first, but has feed the last two weeks. We got them from the same breeder so that's what makes me think that he should be feeding by now, and that the rats are the right size.
    can u afford a plastic tube? about 20-30 bucks will fix the two in one issue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serenewaves View Post
    I just moved to a new house and this week my male hasn't been too eager to eat. He is about 2 years old and had started to be a reluctant eater since the fall. What age do they reach maturity? I thought it was 3 years but maybe I'm wrong.
    If I'm not mistaken 2 years is sexually mature, I think that males reach it at around a year or so (not too sure). Since you just moved it may be the stress of the move that is why he is not eating, BPs can fast for any number of reasons but as long as they aren't losing weight they should be good.
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast