Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,208

2 members and 2,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Problems with temp or set up or hum% or all of it

Can't get the photo to go in here :-(

If I did this correct you should see my set up above.

I have 40G tank for my BP.

These set ups I have tried so far.
    right side under tank pad for 40 G from zoo med 120VAc 60Hz 8W hooked to repti heat control from zoo med. above 30W lamp water on top huge water bowl in between lamp and pad.

left side hide and and 60W lamp on to temp where great but hum% was only about 30 after I sprayed it i got it to 60-70 for a very short time.

So I changed the tank to

glass on screen top which took care of the hum%. right side only under pad 70F with control set to high.
    Water bowl in the middle (bowl is pretty big.

left site hide and lamp with 30W which didn't work at all changed it top 60 got it to about 70F now (30min.ago) 75 W lamp. Still not right only 70F. Gauge is on the ground now which I usually have both at about 4 1/2" off the ground.

I still have a under tank pad left from my 20G. Should I use it if where?

I use Aspen now but will switch to coco husk as soon as my order arrives.

I also have no foam can't find any for my 40G tank. Could I just use normal foam and add Background in front of foam and stick it to the outside of the tank?

Please help my BP is freezing.

Oh I can't change the room temperature. My BP is 1 1/2 will she already stop eating when it get's cold? and How long will they stop eating?

I am thankful for any advise which help her.
    Last edited by svejuca; 01-10-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: can't get the photo to work sorry

Thanks
    Last edited by svejuca; 01-10-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    first.. ditch the dial gages for a digital hydro/temp with a probe you can get an accurite for about 12 $ at wal mart target or a hardware store. Put the probe on the hot spot ( should stay at 90-92) They sell foam board in the stationary section of wal mart that you can use it is about 4$

a space heater is a good way to raise temps in your room ( i had to do it last night for my new girl because her UTH failed at 1030 pm)

But seriously try to get that thermometer and see what it says.. trust me .. you might be shocked at how inaccurate those dial ones really are.

also she really needs to have two hides that she likes for thermoregulation.. one on the cold side one on the hot.

here is some excellent help for a glass tank set up : http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...p-w-pics-*DUW*

also check out our care sheet it has tons of info: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...s%29-Caresheet
    Lurker.Learner.Lover... Of all things creepy crawly and otherwise completely amazing!
    ~The Ladies~
    Normals ~Kaa & Zhena
    Mojave~ Samus Aran
    66%Het Caramel~ Zelda
    Cinny~ Phedre
    ~The Gents~
    100% het Caramel~ Mehen
    Super Pastel~ Cassanova
    Pastel~ Tank
    Cinny~ Jocelyn
    The Leopard Gecko~ Murphy's Patternless female~ George
    All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to K2exotics For This Useful Post:

svejuca (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Problems with temp or set up or hum% or all of it

-What size is your UTH?
    -You need to measure the warm side temp under the substrate, directly on the glass, above the UTH. If you can't get a thermometer with a probe today, then at least move some of the substrate and lay the dial right on the glass above the UTH.
    -How thick is your layer of substrate above the UTH?
    -If you want to insulate your tank some, yes you can use styrofoam. If you have any cardboard boxes that you can cut up, that will work too...

*EDIT* Are you using a thermostat or a rheostat/dimmer?
    Last edited by Vypyrz; 01-10-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

svejuca (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for the fast responds!

I will go get a digital right after writing you!

Ok the UTH is from ZooMed and is the one which said for a 40Gallon Tank. I did not measure the UTH. I can't lift the tank to measure it now. It is to heavy and bulky for me alone.

I did lay the temp under the hide under the Aspen. The Aspen is about 1/2 inch of the ground.

Like I said the UTH has a reptile heat control hooked up to it so I somehow can control it. It's on high now and still has only 70F.

The lamp is not hooked up to anything I kind of just switch the W of the bulb to control it.

I hope that answered some of your questions so you can help me with mine.

I will run out get some of the thinks you guys said like the digital temperature with a probe.

Thanks again. i need to fix this fast as she already refused to eat some of her meal.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svejuca View Post
    Ok the UTH is from ZooMed and is the one which said for a 40Gallon Tank
    You said 8 watt, would be the 6"x8" for a 10 to 20 gallon. If it is the 30 to 40 gallon one it should be 8"x12" and 16 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by svejuca View Post
    I did lay the temp under the hide under the Aspen. The Aspen is about 1/2 inch of the ground.
    Like I said the UTH has a reptile heat control hooked up to it so I somehow can control it. It's on high now and still has only 70F.
    You are still getting ambient temps, you need to know what the surface temp of the glass is. The pad will get the glass a lot hotter than the air temp just above it. You want to make sure your surface temps are not going to burn you snake.

I dont tend to worry too much about the ambient temps as much as I work about the temps in their hides.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

svejuca (01-10-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You said 8 watt, would be the 6"x8" for a 10 to 20 gallon. If it is the 30 to 40 gallon one it should be 8"x12" and 16 watts.

You right about the 16W

You are still getting ambient temps, you need to know what the surface temp of the glass is. The pad will get the glass a lot hotter than the air temp just above it. You want to make sure your surface temps are not going to burn you snake.

I dont tend to worry too much about the ambient temps as much as I work about the temps in their hides.

I put the temp on top of the UTH on the glass it's read's 92F

Thanks
    I went out to try to get the digital temp reader as well as a second hide. All stores are closed due to the ice rain we had overnight .

So I guess I have to wait. I will put the UTH for the 20 tank under the tank for today as she is freezing and I don't want her to get sick. Why does this has to happen on a day where the stores are closed

Thanks

If your temp really is around 92F on top of the UTH and she's staying in the hide that's over it, then she's perfectly fine for now and won't get sick. She'll stay where it's warm, don't worry But yes, definitely go out and get a digital thermometer and another hide when you can.
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to blushingball419 For This Useful Post:

svejuca (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    I looked at the temp again by now it went all the way up t almost 100 won't she burn when she is on top of the UTH????

the hide is not above the UTH but on the other side but I can switch it no problem.Thank again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast