Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,605

0 members and 2,605 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

how to switch to f/t rats.

Hello, i am wanting to switch from live rats to frozen rats. I have tried to get my bp's to eat f/t rats with no luck, whats the easiest way to get them to accept them? Thank you in advanced.
    Tye Hicks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Make sure the rodent is REALLY warm (very warm) all the way through ! I let mine defrost in cold water, then add hot water 3 times for 10 min each.
    I dry the rodents off a bit with paper towels, but they are still slightly wet. My BP's don't mind that.
    Until you switch your snakes you could hit the rodents with the blowdryer before offering, though. For one, it will dry the rodent, plus it will make it even hotter. You do not want to burn your snake, but you'll have to get the rodent very very warm, esp. the head of the rodent.

Once its hot enough, dangle it in front of the hide or where ever your BP may be, and have patience. It could also help to "pre scent" the enclosure, before actually offering. Meaning you could hold the warm rodent in the cage for a few seconds, waving it around, then hitting it with the blow dryer again, and finally offering it.

It has always worked for me, all the snakes I've gotten were on live food, some of them on mice. They all took f/t rats as their first meal for me.

Btw, I always feed in their enclosure, I never remove my BP's to feed in a different tub.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Tye Hicks (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: how to switch to f/t rats.

I basically thaw mine the same way. A couple of things you can do to help with the pre-scenting is thaw the prey in close proximity to the enclosures. I use a pan to thaw mine in because it's easier to carry back and forth from the bathroom without spilling hot water everywhere. And the other thing is when you are using the blow dryer to heat the rat, aim it towards the enclosure so you are blowing that sweet, hot, rat stink at them. That will get them interested. I use feed tongs to hold the rat by the scruff of the neck and present the rat about 4-6 inches in front of the snake, give it a little zombie dance, and let the snake come to it.

If that doesn't work, you can try laying the rat about 2-3 inches in front of the hide, shut off the lights and leave the snake alone. I have to occassionally do this with a couple of mine when they are in shed, and they usually will eat sometime during the night.

And sometimes, you may have to resort to Tough Love... Good Luck.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."