Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,497

1 members and 2,496 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Why would a pet store be selling an ADULT BP?(MN if you want to rescue it)

This week my boyfriend and I went and purchased some hoppers for our BP at a petland store. We discovered an adult BP there(which was not there 2 weeks earlier) going through a bad shed and honestly it was living in deplorable conditions!

It had no temp or humidity gauges and had a tiny shelter that there is no way it could fit itself in. I know BPs like tight secure hides but there is no way an adult BP could even curl up in the hide they had for it. The water dish was also tiny as hell.

We are new-ish owners to our BP and have had issues with maintaining a proper home for our snake but due to the help from some of the members on here I feel we have a good habitat for our snake. If we have more issues obviously we will bring them up here or take our snake to a vet.(but this issue isn't out OUR SNAKE)

My BF and I actually talked about buying the adult BP from petland because we felt sorry for it.(and I also feel damn bad about all the stray cats running around our neighborhood) We decided we don't want 2 snakes though.
    ----------------------

Anyway I have 2 purposes for starting this thread:

1. Why would a pet store be selling an ADULT Ball Python?(seems stange to me)
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-09-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    call the ASPCA they will deal with them tell them what you saw where you saw it and how long ago you seen it... i seen the same thing at petco a few weeks ago but i complained to them and they fixed the situation you might have luck trying the same just go back and complain and good luck

Everything Will be ok in the end
    If it's not ok....
    It's not the end

1.1 Normal "Akuma / Leila"
    1.0 Pastel "Ryu"

Thanks

Re: Why would a pet store be selling an ADULT BP?(MN if you want to rescue it)

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
    call the ASPCA they will deal with them tell them what you saw where you saw it and how long ago you seen it... i seen the same thing at petco a few weeks ago but i complained to them and they fixed the situation you might have luck trying the same just go back and complain and good luck

I will contact the ASPCA over it because I was frankly disgusted by it's living conditions!

I still have a question though....

Why would a pet store all of a sudden be selling an adult BP that it didn't have 2 weeks earlier???
    Last edited by Superpop; 01-09-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Thanks
    someone either returned it or didn't want it happens all the time PETco had 2 Adult males in a 10 gal tank no hide no water directly on the glass above the UTH after i left they were both in 20 gal tanks bedding and fresh water >.> i have never been to petland if its a chain store its more than likely the people working there have no idea how to care for the animals and only do as their told but please keep me updated i would like to know what happens to them

If it's not ok....
    It's not the end

1.0 Pastel "Ryu"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Byrdie For This Useful Post:

Superpop (01-09-2011)

Thanks

someone either returned it or didn't want it happens all the time PETco had 2 Adult males in a 10 gal tank no hide no water directly on the glass above the UTH after i left they were both in 20 gal tanks bedding and fresh water >.> i have never been to petland if its a chain store its more than likely the people working there have no idea how to care for the animals and only do as their told but please keep me updated i would like to know what happens to them
    WOW! What you saw was even more mortifying than what I saw! Effing pet stores!!!!

May I ask you for a little more help. I watch Animal Cops all the time and so I know who and what the ASPCA is but when I go to their website it seems like it's all about NYC and Jersey. I live in Minnesota....who should I contact?
    Last edited by Superpop; 01-09-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superpop View Post

Why would a pet store all of a sudden be selling an adult BP that it didn't have 2 weeks earlier???
    Because alot of times the owners abandon them. A friend of mine is a manager at a pet shop and they have 2 adult BP's that were left there. One was left in a tub by the door during the night. The other was brought in a box. A guy walked in, set it on the counter and walked out. So, while they aren't living in ideal conditions, at least they are being fed and somewhat cared for until somebody buys them. I would talk to the pet store and find out the whole story before going straight to the ASPCA...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    i did a little research and found this http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/p...investigations its says the cover the whole of MN so I'm guessing St Paul / twin cities area is included... it's Sunday today so i don't know if the Pet store will even be open but i would call the ASPCA anyway just to inform them check the pet store early Monday morning if it's still that bad i would go outside and call the ASPCA right from the stores location

If it's not ok....
    It's not the end

1.0 Pastel "Ryu"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Because alot of times the owners abandon them. A friend of mine is a manager at a pet shop and they have 2 adult BP's that were left there. One was left in a tub by the door during the night. The other was brought in a box. A guy walked in, set it on the counter and walked out. So, while they aren't living in ideal conditions, at least they are being fed and somewhat cared for until somebody buys them. I would talk to the pet store and find out the whole story before going straight to the ASPCA...

The two males at petco were there for almost 2 weeks before i showed up ...and there really is no excuse that they are in bad conditions i mean they are in a petstore for gods sake from where the snakes were they had 20-30 tanks for sale on the shelves...not to mention their hides were there in the same isle there is NO excuse for that kind of treatment especially inside a store that sells those supplies

If it's not ok....
    It's not the end

1.0 Pastel "Ryu"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Fair enough. We go shopping at that strip mall almost every week so before I contact the ASPCA I will check and see if the snake is still there and if it is I will inquire about it.

That being said.....the snake IS living in DEPLORABLE conditions as I see it. Being a pet store I find it amazingly awful that they don't have temp/humidity gages in it's enclosure( it's like they are so bad that they don't even pretend to care!

Thanks

i did a little research and found this http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/p...investigations its says the cover the whole of MN so I'm guessing St Paul / twin cities area is included... it's Sunday today so i don't know if the Pet store will even be open but i would call the ASPCA anyway just to inform them check the pet store early Monday morning if it's still that bad i would go outside and call the ASPCA right from the stores location

I know I said I would wait off in my last post but...THANK YOU!

I won't hold off! I will call today.
    Last edited by Superpop; 01-09-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast