Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,352

2 members and 2,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
    Thanks

Switching to rats

Ok so I have a '10 female lesser platinum ball python and I have been trying to switch her to f/t rats for nearly 10 weeks. I had been feeding her f/t mice. I was told to keep offering rats no matter what-- never to give in and never give her mice.

Weeks 1-6 she would have nothing to do with them. I pre scented the rats with some f/t mice that I thawed too.
    Week 7 is where it gets odd. I decide to first offer a mouse to get her in "feeding mode". Well I accidentally dropped the mouse and she instantly struck and constricted it. The second she let go I grabbed it and threw the the small rat in. She looked at it for awhile and then just started swallowing it. No strike/constriction at all. I assume this is because she figured it was the same thing she had already constricted. He ended up eating it just fine.

When week 8 came I just offered the rat by itself and she ate it.

From week 9 till now she hasnt taken a single rat. I guess this is week 11 or 12. She will just look at it... "lick" it. And then go the other way. I have no idea what's going on... My only thought would be that it's the winter and that they go off feed for the winter. But that doesn't make sense to me because I didn't think juveniles do that. I just thought adult females did that because it's breeding season. Could someone please give me their 2 cents? I'm starting to get worried that she may never eat a rat again. Or if she does, it won't be on a consistent basis, which is unacceptable if I want to breed her when she gets old enough (which I do). Anyways, that's my rant for the moment and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    SC

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Switching to rats

I wish I had some advice for you. I am going to try to switch over to weaned rats in the near future, and hope it isn't to difficult. With the feeding response that my balls seem to have I don't think it will be that bad. This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though. Hopefully someone will post some info that may help.

Thanks
    One thing that I recently saw on SnakeBytes was the use of vanilla extract to scent the rat. You could try that.......
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Switching to rats

You could try offering a live rat. It might help her with identifying it as a food source. If she takes it then offer live for about 4 weeks, then switch her to f/t.
    Have you tried just leaving the rat laying about 2 inches in front of the hide overnight?

One thing I've seen people recommend before is to work out a deal with your local pet shop where you can get their dirty mouse bedding when they change it. Once you thaw the rat, put it in the mouse bedding for a while then offer it.

I've also seen people recommend putting Tuna juice on the rats. Personally, I'm a little skeptical about that and would probably have to see it to believe it...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-09-2011)

Thanks
    I guess I am lucky! All mine take mice or rats interchangeably. I do have a couple of young ones that don't want the rat (or mouse) offered on tongs with the zombie mouse dance. They just want it left at the entrance to their hide. Then they snatch it.

ALSO, some of mine like the mouse/rat really hot.
    - Dave Harms - www.wax32.com | Pinstripe, Yellow Belly, Sulfur, Cinnamon ph G-Stripe, Pastel het Hypo | Pastel, Fire, Albino, Mojave, Lesser Platinum ph G-Stripe, Pastel ph G-Stripe, het G-Stripe, het Hypo, het Piebald, Pastel Yellowbelly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkwolf25 View Post
    One thing that I recently saw on SnakeBytes was the use of vanilla extract to scent the rat. You could try that.......
    Ok. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    You could try offering a live rat. It might help her with identifying it as a food source. If she takes it then offer live for about 4 weeks, then switch her to f/t.
    Have you tried just leaving the rat laying about 2 inches in front of the hide overnight?

One thing I've seen people recommend before is to work out a deal with your local pet shop where you can get their dirty mouse bedding when they change it. Once you thaw the rat, put it in the mouse bedding for a while then offer it.

I've also seen people recommend putting Tuna juice on the rats. Personally, I'm a little skeptical about that and would probably have to see it to believe it...
    I thought of offering her live but Petco doesn't sell small live rats.

No I have not tried leaving it in front of the hide over night. I'll do that tonight.

Ok, you are the 5th person to talk about mouse bedding. I really need to try that. Next time I go pick up some rats I'll ask them if they will give me some.

Ya I'm a little skeptical about the tuna juice. If it reeeaallyy comes down to it I might try it... But I would have to be the most desperate bp owner in the history of bp owners lol.

Thanks for yalls comments and advice. I really hope it makes a difference. Keep the advice comin if u have anymore. The more the better!

Thanks again,
    SC