Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,240

0 members and 2,240 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Why are ball python morphs so expensive?

I would like to buy a cool looking, docile, ball python morph from a reptile show in the L.A. area later this year. But one thing I notice from browsing them online, is that the morphs are so expensive. I have a bearded dragon, and have been to a reptile show before, but why is it that ball python morphs are so expensive?

Regular ball pythons go for $40, when the not so different looking morphs go for around $80-$150, and for anything that really looks different/unique from normal you start to get into the $250-$600+ range. Is this overpriced? It seems like it to me.

I just notice that citrus and beautiful colored bearded dragons tend to go for a lot less than pythons and also make great pets. So why is it that these ball python morphs are so expensive? Especially when you order them online. To me it just seems like a few dealers have been making a fortune off of them and want to keep it that way, so the price stays high, but is it really a fair price compared to other reptiles?
    Last edited by Zanshin; 01-06-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks

Re: Why are ball python morphs so expensive?

if the morph is new it's gonna be expensive cuz the person that created that morph is gonna wanna get as much bang for his buck as he possibly can. also ppl generally like new things and are willing to spend a little more for it. breeders know this.
    edit: not saying that ALL breeders are this way but it doesnt surprise me if some are. and the whole online thing is...well, internet sells so yeah. that doesnt surprise me either.
    Last edited by mommanessy247; 01-06-2011 at 07:45 AM.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks

Supply and demand.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Talking Re: Why are ball python morphs so expensive?

You can get a normal for $25. It all depends on where you buy your bp's from. I can't wait to get some snakes from Garrick Demeyer. Check out his website

http://www.royalconstrictordesigns.com/

0.1 Pastel (LemonDrop)
    1.0 Mojave (Mojo)
    1.1 Normals (Otis, Queen)
    1.0 Pinstripe (Pins)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ILUVREPTILES1?feature=mhum

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

LOL - if you think that these prices are expensive, you would have keeled over from shock on the prices just a few years ago.

Morphs are VERY affordable these days. You couldn't get an albino for less than $1800 a few years ago, now you can get them for $300. Pintripes were going for over $1000, now they're $200 and less.

So - to me, and many others of us, morphs are anything BUT expensive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    LOL - if you think that these prices are expensive, you would have keeled over from shock on the prices just a few years ago.

Morphs are VERY affordable these days. You couldn't get an albino for less than $1800 a few years ago, now you can get them for $300. Pintripes were going for over $1000, now they're $200 and less.

This is somewhat true. If you want to you can still find your very expensive morphs so its not like the expensive ones disapeared they just changed. its pretty much just basic economics, Supply was low on these morphs so prices were high, now supply is pretty high so prices come down a ton. This will happen to all of the morphs you see now that are 1k-10k, it might take a while but eventually they will all come down in price.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post

This makes me cry to know what I paid for an Enchi back in 2008 and now look at their prices or spiders

I remember seeing Lesser's for 25K back in 2006 and people whine when they are over 300.00

I know people like to reference the whole supply and demand thing but I really wish people would get that out of their head..I mean do spider's looks any less AWESOME today than they did back in 2002 or do Pied's or any morph.

Any way I'm with Robin and Kevin and a few others when I say people just getting into the hobby now are spoiled look at all you can get for under $1000.00
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    This makes me cry to know what I paid for an Enchi back in 2008 and now look at their prices or spiders

I remember seeing Lesser's for 25K back in 2006 and people whine when they are over 300.00

I know people like to reference the whole supply and demand thing but I really wish people would get that out of their head..I mean do spider's looks any less AWESOME today than they did back in 2002 or do Pied's or any morph.

Any way I'm with Robin and Kevin and a few others when I say people just getting into the hobby now are spoiled look at all you can get for under $1000.00
    I see what your saying, but its not a matter of what they look like its a matter of how many there are. Ya spiders still look exactly the same, but everyones brother, sister, aunt and uncle is breeding and selling them, they are not going to be able to stay expensive. You cant take the supply and demand thing out because thats what it is, pretty much in purest form.

Thanks

you can also look to oat it this way bps live easy 20+ years verus a bearded dreagon ( what it is like 5 years ??? ) plus during that time you can get your money back and then some if you do breeding ( even as the price falls).

I know at times I can't give away normals/possible hets lol. But then again I am a noob breeder and have not credit when comes to the hets..
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think morph have become very affordable (good thing you were not trying to buy a morph just barely 4 years ago .

It's like everything else you can either afford it or you have to save for it however many morphs are more affordable than they have ever been.

As for are they over priced? Actually I think it is the opposite for some, I think it's a shame to see some combos going for the price they are going now.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Shadera (01-06-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast