Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,130

0 members and 2,130 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
    Thanks

My BP's head didn't shed fully...help!

So ealier this week my girl went thru her shed, had some issues and I used the forum on the bad shed and followed it to a T. She got most of it off and I assisted with the rest. HOWEVER, she has an area from the tip of her nose to about 3/4 way back on top of her head that is still not off after 4 days. I have tried to assist her but she refuses to hold still and I don't want to hurt her.

Her eyes are bright black and appear clear. He nostrils seem mostly clear but it's hard to tell fully as I didn't look at her appearance that close in that area prior to her shed.

ANY ideas what I should do if anything? She continues to attempt to rub herself against things in her tank, but not to a point I feel she is stressed or bothered y it fully. She ate fine the day after her shed was off (minus the head of course).

Man I had NO clue how much I would be involved in her care. Makes me feel like I am raising another kid! But I am loving it!

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    warm wash clothe, run it over the stuck shed and up the humidity a bit
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    ok.Thank you!! Will try it and let you know!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandiBallPythons View Post
    warm wash clothe, run it over the stuck shed and up the humidity a bit
    same thing as said above, just make a little tunnel with the cloth and let her/him slide through it and make it tighter as she/he slides through and that should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Xan Powers!
    -Going back to being active-

Thanks

?

even if she dosent get it off she will get it off next shed really you should be wondering why shes having trouble shedding ? some snakes have bad sheds when there unwell ? wen mine sheds i search the tank and get as much skin out as i can and check that the eye caps both came off . good luck

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Are you keeping your snake in a screen top tank? I recommend spilling some water around, then cling wrapping the screen completely with a just a couple dozen airholes for circulation. And then leave it be for 24 hours--there's good chance the snake will rub its own eyecaps off, and then you can just ignore the rest without worry.

if the eyecaps are still on, you can try the washcloth trick. The extra humidity will have at least softened the skin up. You can also give her a room temp swim in the bathtub to help soften the scales.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW FOR SURE THAT THE OLD EYECAPS ARE STILL THERE. YOU CAN BLIND THE SNAKE BY RUBBING AND TRYING PULL OFF THE NEW SET.

You really only need to worry about the eyecaps. Once those are off, you can let her be, and she'll take care of it next shed.

Thanks
    From what I can tell, her eye caps are off ( I posted some pics of her today in another thread, if you can look at give me your opinion). I had issues with getting her humidity to the right level when I had 1st gotten her and I am sure that's why the bad shed. It seems I have those issues resolved now though.

THanks everyone for the advice!!!!!