Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,351

0 members and 1,351 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Normal

Thanks

New Normal

Here's a few pics of my new BP, Koga. He's a few months old, and he's a normal (A dang sexy one if I do say so myself.) I don't have a weight or specific length for you guys, but he's about 14-16 inches long. Also, I was hoping if guys could tell if he's about to shed or if he's already had an incomplete shed. Thanks!

Lame belly shot attempt

Check out those Pokemon cards (There's over 1000)

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by SpencerShanks; 11-27-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks

Re: New Normal

Pretty little guy! Looks like an incomplete shed to me. Try soaking him in a tub with just a little bit of warm water for about 20 min. After soaking wipe him with a wash cloth and it should come off. Good luck with him!

Thanks
    It looks like stuck skin from a previous shed. You may need to up the humidity. there are many threads on this site on how to up the humidity just do a general search for that topic and you should have no problem finding tips as to how to up the humidity. Also a soak in lukewarm water for a about 5-10 minutes may help him remove some of the skin that is stuck. (there is also a wealth of info on the site about stuck sheds) also looks like he may have retained an eye cap,(i cant be certain from the picture though) the soak has always worked for me and mine are have always been able to remove it on their own. Good luck with everything and welcome to ball pythons.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I have actually had a tub prepared after I got an opinion from someone more experienced, so he's going in right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here's an excellent thread on dealing with stuck sheds...

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...hed-No-problem.

Very pretty snake you have there! Congrats!!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Sterilite tub with lid *weight on tub if needed to guarantee snake stays in tub*
    1 to 1 1/2 inches of 85 degree water
    a towel in the bottom will cover most of the water and allow the snake to lay on it.
    I also add a half log hide for the snake to use to assist rubbing off the old shed.
    I usually soak 30 minutes and see if the shed comes off easily, if not I replace with 85 degree water and soak for 30 more minutes.
    After the soak the shed should slide off fairly easily if it's not already off.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    He's soaking in a little sterilite tub right now, lukewarm water and some paper towels across the bottom. Once again, thanks for the comments

Thanks
    Can any of you tell based off of the pictures if he's retained his eyecaps? I got everything off the entire snake besides the eyes and I think a little on the head. Any ideas on what to do? I've heard you can take off the eye caps with scotch tape, but I don't want to do it unless I'm positive that they're there. His eyes are silver, so I'm thinking that they are, but just want to make sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerShanks View Post
    Can any of you tell based off of the pictures if he's retained his eyecaps? I got everything off the entire snake besides the eyes and I think a little on the head. Any ideas on what to do? I've heard you can take off the eye caps with scotch tape, but I don't want to do it unless I'm positive that they're there. His eyes are silver, so I'm thinking that they are, but just want to make sure.
    Yes, it looks like there are stuck eyecaps. I would NOT mess with them directly. Doing so without being VERY confident in what you're doing, has far more risk of damaging the eye than simply allowing the issue to resolve itself.

What you can do, is wet a pillowcase (wring it out so it's not soaking wet)...tie the snake inside and place it in the warm side of her enclosure. Give her an hour or so, then check and see if she rubbed them off on her own. Another trick is to have a wet wash cloth or towel in your hand and encourage her to slither through it and rub her face against it.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Yes, it looks like there are stuck eyecaps. I would NOT mess with them directly. Doing so without being VERY confident in what you're doing, has far more risk of damaging the eye than simply allowing the issue to resolve itself.

What you can do, is wet a pillowcase (wring it out so it's not soaking wet)...tie the snake inside and place it in the warm side of her enclosure. Give her an hour or so, then check and see if she rubbed them off on her own. Another trick is to have a wet wash cloth or towel in your hand and encourage her to slither through it and rub her face against it.
    I'll try those, thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast