Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,458

0 members and 2,458 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New to the forum

Hey everyone,

My name is John and I'm new to these forums and a new owner of a baby ball python. I've yet to discover wether it's a male or a female, and I'm going to pop it soon to find out what it is...

To my surprise my new snake fed for the first time on Saturday on a fuzzy after I brought him home on Thursday. I was really worried about him not feeding due to the stress of being brought to a new environment.

These forums are terrific for those of us who are very green on owning/caring for BPs...thanks so much whoever started and/or takes care of this site and forums.

Here are some pictures of its enclosure and/or the snake itself and I hope to post alot more in the future....and if anyone has any advice I'm all ears. I want to learn all I can to be successful with my new snake, hell I might even breed one day if I like it as much as I think i do...

John

Here's its new enclosure...it's a 20L with just a hidebox and a waterbowl for now. I also used just newspaper for the time being, but the enclosure seems to hold steady at a 40% humidity , so I bought some cypress which I'm going to lay down after he goes to the bathroom for the first time because I'd like the humidity to be around 50-60%

Snake on newspaper...

Me holding my new addition

Thanks again,

John
    Last edited by Jsprofera; 08-09-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks

Re: New to the forum

Welcome to the forums!

Some tips: Heat lamps aren't very great, I'd suggest an Under Tank Heater (UTH) controlled with a thermostat and monitored with a thermometer. Hot side should be 89-92, and cold side should be 75-85.
    Second, get rid of the half log hide. Replace with two very snug (touching all sides of the bp preferably) cave-like hides, one of the cold side, one on the warm.
    Cypress will do great for humidity.

Good looking little baby, hope you enjoy the forums!

Thanks

For some reason I can't find how I edit my post again, but I wanted to ask what you all thought of his coloration, is it a regular bp, or could it be a different morph?

Thanks again for all your help

John

Thanks

Well, I do have an under the tank heater on the right hand side of the tank...that's where it spends most of its time. And the heat lamps bring up the temp to 90 or so during the day, and then I shut one of them off at night leaving a red light that allows the tank to go to around 80 degrees at nighttime...

As far as the hides, I'll look into getting one or two different snug hide boxes.

Thanks for the advice,

John

Thanks

He looks like a normal, a nice light one.
    The temp can stay at 90 through the night, they don't really need a night-time drop in temperature unless you're trying to kick off breeding season.
    You're controlling the UTH with a thermostat and probe right? Otherwise you could get burns.

Once those are done, you'll be all set. Also, since he's a small little guy (or gal) still, I'd add more clutter to the tank so he feels comfortable.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jsprofera View Post
    For some reason I can't find how I edit my post again, but I wanted to ask what you all thought of his coloration, is it a regular bp, or could it be a different morph?

Thanks again for all your help

John
    He's a nice very yellow/light normal

Thanks

No, I just plugged in the UTH, do not have it regulated with a probe and/or thermometer. I had seen a video from ralph davis where he did a basic enclosure with a 10 gallon tank for a baby snake, and he had stated that you didn't need to regulate the uth at all, that it got as hot as needed. Is that not correct?

Thanks

Welcome and beautiful young addition! Now a few words of warning :-) Even low wattage UTHs can heat up to 100-110 degrees or so unchecked. I had mine on a rheostat and it still was way too hot. You will want to invest in a thermostat and keep it around 94-95 degrees or so to ensure adequate heat transfer through your substrate. Also, make sure that you also invest in two correctly proportioned closed-sided hides and a digital thermometer/hygrometer. The open logs often do not provide enough security, especially younglings, when you do not have the sides of the tank blacked out, and the dial thermometers/hygrometers are notoriously off in their readings. Good luck!!

--BPQ

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Well, I do have an under the tank heater on the right hand side of the tank...that's where it spends most of its time. And the heat lamps bring up the temp to 90 or so during the day, and then I shut one of them off at night leaving a red light that allows the tank to go to around 80 degrees at nighttime...

As far as the hides, I'll look into getting one or two different snug hide boxes.

Thanks for the advice,

John
    if you're relying on those dial meters, i would re-check all your temps AFTER getting a digital thermometer / hygrometer. also, you need to monitor belly heat. i bought mine from wal-mart - they read temps and humidity and they're about $8 each .
    those heat lamps suck the humidity right out of aquariums.. trust me, i started with one too ..

also, to replace the dreaded half log, you can buy 2 hide boxes from reptile basics: http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes/

you don't have a morph, but you have a sweet awesome color and patterned normal. do you know if it's male or female? that would be an interesting dinker

welcome to the forum! this place rocks!
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

No, I just plugged in the UTH, do not have it regulated with a probe and/or thermometer. I had seen a video from ralph davis where he did a basic enclosure with a 10 gallon tank for a baby snake, and he had stated that you didn't need to regulate the uth at all, that it got as hot as needed. Is that not correct?
    ALL uth's need to be regulated.
    The fastest way to burn your snake is not using a thermostat.
    Jerry Robertson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast