Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,595

3 members and 2,592 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
    Thanks

Two newest additions!

Very very excited to receive these guys! I'm not into breeding but I think I will have to learn now!

My new super pastel.. thought he had a cool pattern and lots of blushing

Next is my new lesser boy Any suggestions what to breed him to in the future? For now I'm thinking just a normal female to give breeding a try. But I would really LOVE a blue eyed lucy...

1.3 lovely normals 1.1 Piebald 0.1 red tail boa (Pandora) 1.0 sinaloan milk snake and one nasty corn snake! 2.3.1 Cresties 0.0.1 chahoua 0.0.1 leachianus
    1.1 Ferrets (Snoball & Panda)

Thanks

Re: Two newest additions!

You dont have anything other than a normal to breed him to.

On top of that: Breed to a normal and you have 50% normals and 50% Lessers. I, personally, dont like those odds. The snake market is always going down and normals arent in high demand. You're then looking at finding homes for a bunch of normals and lessers. While demand for lessers exists, you may be looking at ~8 snakes you cannot find homes for, and then you are stuck housing them and caring for them yourself. Going from a few snakes to more than 10 could end up murdering you financially and it would be a lot of effort.

I would suggest another morph, and a different one. If you create something someone else hasnt yet you could actually sell it/trade it easily, and you reduce the number of normals you will produce.

It's great to dream about just breeding but before you do you HAVE to think of how you are going to care for the snakes or get rid of them. Save the normal to be bred to a double/triple morph or if you want it to be a dinker to produce better snakes of some morph.

Personally I would suggest a bumblebee. Why? They are a double morph, can throw a lot of possibilities, and are cheap as far as double morphs go. If not a double morph a single morph people either arent working with much, or want.

The more money you invest into any individual snake the longer the market for that snake's offspring will last.

-Edit-

Oh, and I'm not trying to discourage you from breeding, or to rag on you, a lot of people seem to think that. I am just trying to make sure you are aware of the difficulties involved in breeding. Decisions like this involve a LOT of thought and consideration before undertaking, and it's really easy to get caught up in the moment and I'm just trying to save you from the negative outcomes.

Also if you are deciding to breed: Network, Network, NETWORK! Let people know you like snakes, talk to people who are interested, stay friends with them. I already have about 5 people that would love to have a BP and I keep up with them, and talk to them about care, housing, etc. These people are the ones I have groomed to be trustworthy owners, who I will aid in setting up their snakes, and who I will give snakes to FOR FREE (the costs for them to set up their snake will be all they need).
    Last edited by Oxylepy; 07-26-2010 at 01:23 AM.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

Carlene16 (07-26-2010),equinebeing (07-26-2010)

Thanks

Oh I am a big dreamer
    The normal I have now is not up to size or even close to being able to breed soon. But I am looking at two different big normal girls to buy. In the future though I would love to buy a female lesser. I don't like the odds of normal x lesser either, but if i can't afford a larger female lesser then I might just try to a normal, not 100% sure though. Lots of time to decide and think things over! I wish I had a bumble bee. I would like a female spider to breed to my super pastel. I would get bumble bees if i bred spider x super pastel correct? Sorry for the newbie questions I'm more of a boa girl, just recently fell in love with ball pythons
    1.3 lovely normals 1.1 Piebald 0.1 red tail boa (Pandora) 1.0 sinaloan milk snake and one nasty corn snake! 2.3.1 Cresties 0.0.1 chahoua 0.0.1 leachianus

Thanks

I do genetics by percentages so I'll try to explain it my way with that pairing (I try to always do this, it helps in my experience):

Super Pastel x Spider
    100% of offspring get 1 pastel gene from the Super Pastel
    0% of the offspring get 1 pastel gene from the Spider (it doesnt have any pastel genes)
    100% will be Pastel
    0% of the offspring get 1 spider gene from the Super Pastel
    50% of the offspring get 1 spider gene from the Spider
    50% will be Spider

END RESULTS:
    .5x1.0 = .5 (this works for all options, thus you dont need to calculate for each)
    50% will be Pastel
    50% will be Bumble Bees

Now, try and do it for Lesser/Spider yourself

Oh, and here is a MUCH more complex one (so you can see how it extends). Again the results are all the same (luck of the draw) but I go on to explain some other things in that thread.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...58#post1385158
    Last edited by Oxylepy; 07-26-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks

Hmmm... Lesser x spider would give you...

25% normal
    25% spider
    25% lessers
    25% lesser bee? is that the correct name for it?

Thanks

Yes, that's the right name, however there are some issues thinking of them that way, it seems some people use ____ bee to mean ____ pastel spider, and other people use it to just mean ____ spider. But in this case that is the name:

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/lesser-bee/

(great site, by the way)

Thanks

I hope I will eventually understand it all. With time I'm sure, and I definitely won't get into breeding until I'm 100% sure I can afford the cost of everything and have the time for it. I just know I would like to someday. Thanks for all the info, and those sites are great thanks!