Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,004

2 members and 2,002 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,155
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Upstream Morphs
    Registered User Flatheadhunter33's Avatar
    Thanks

How would I know?

I have a question please...I dont yet own a BP but hope to soon...after I learn as much as I can. Im not looking to breed either, seeing as how my knowledge of the subject is less than zero! I do wonder though if there is a way that a buyer can tell by looking at a BP that the snake is in fact heterozygous for a particular trait?

Example: a breeder says that a snake is 50% het for piebald...or 100%...whatever percent.

How can the buyer tell if this is true other than taking the word of the breeder. No offense to any breeder or questioning anyone's integrity...just asking a question. Thanks!

If this answer is already posted somewhere, please just let me know. Thanks again.

Thanks

Re: How would I know?

Some animals have "markers" some dont

If they have paperwork, cool

Most times you need to do your research on that person, see what they're working with, their reputation....etc etc

Do your research, get on the BOI on Fauna....ask questions on breeders....

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadhunter33 View Post
    I have a question please...I dont yet own a BP but hope to soon...after I learn as much as I can. Im not looking to breed either, seeing as how my knowledge of the subject is less than zero! I do wonder though if there is a way that a buyer can tell by looking at a BP that the snake is in fact heterozygous for a particular trait?

Example: a breeder says that a snake is 50% het for piebald...or 100%...whatever percent.

How can the buyer tell if this is true other than taking the word of the breeder. No offense to any breeder or questioning anyone's integrity...just asking a question. Thanks!

If this answer is already posted somewhere, please just let me know. Thanks again.
    The only way to tell is by the parents.. 100% means that one of the parents was homozygous for that trait. 50% simply means that one of the parents was 100% het for that trait.

The percentages is nothing more than the chance each egg has at being Het for that trait is all..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadhunter33 View Post
    I do wonder though if there is a way that a buyer can tell by looking at a BP that the snake is in fact heterozygous for a particular trait?

How can the buyer tell if this is true other than taking the word of the breeder.

You can't. Part of the definition of a recessive trait is that the heterozygous form is not visually different from a normal. So the only thing you have is the word of the breeder. This is why it is extremely important to buy hets from a reputable breeder.

Paper work documenting the genetics is nice, but proves nothing. A scammer can print up a piece of paper just as easily as an honest breeder. However, if you might later want to sell the snake, paperwork from a reputable breeder is very useful.
    Casey

Thanks

You must simply purchase hets form people that you trust. any thing less than a 100%het is a gamble on getting a normal and there is no way to tell without breeding it out.

Thanks

Yes I would suggest you purchase your animal from a trusted breeder/friend especially when it comes to hets.
    Chris
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.herpdaily.com
    "A Regular Dose of Reptile Enthusiasm"

Thanks

Why buy a het if you aren't looking to breed? They look just like a normal but generally have a higher price tag. No point unless you are breeding.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Registered User Flatheadhunter33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Serpent View Post
    Why buy a het if you aren't looking to breed? They look just like a normal but generally have a higher price tag. No point unless you are breeding.
    Thats why I was saying that Im only asking in order to learn. I saw an ad where a seller was saying that they were selling a BP that had a certain trait and that you could tell from looking at certain markings on the belly...so I figured there was something there to look for...if i ever get to the point when I am ready for purchase, I just want to know as much as possible...Im actually considering rescue though. Of course I have a bunch of questions on that subject as well!!
    Last edited by Flatheadhunter33; 03-21-2010 at 07:57 PM.