Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,137

1 members and 2,136 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112

Thread: substrates

Thanks

substrates

i have a 70 gal tank and ive been struggling with humidity for a long time. ive tried a lot over the past year because theres pretty much no humidity in the air where i am.
    I recently switched to reptibark from aspen bedding. it did help a little but nothing significant. the thing thats really driving me crazy about it is that the chips are so large that they easily get on top of all my temp probes n mess up my readings. i dont want to affix the probes right to the glass incase she rubs off whatevers making it stick and it gets stuck to her.
    anyone know of a really humid type of bedding that wont make my probes go all over the place? or possibly a good way to make the probes stay in one spot?

Thanks

Re: substrates

So I have a question. What does the top of your tank look like? Just a screen? If this is so then you may just want to block some of that off to help trap the humidity inside. Also why such a huge tank? what are you keeping in it? Just 1 Ball python? I know in large tanks it is a pain to keep it all good.
    just a few questions to help us help you..
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

The best thing you can do is to switch to a smaller tank. A 70g is over kill for a ball python and as you have learned, is nearly impossible to keep humidity up.

You can hot glue the probe to the glass right over the UTH.

Cypress mulch is in my opinion, the best humidity raising substrate.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

i have 1/2 of the top, which is screen, covered but still only 40% humidity.
    I have definitly been considering downsizing her and possibly using that tank for a rainbow boa. Especially now that i know im not the only one that struggles with such a large environment. I have also been considering the zoo med fogger.
    I'll be switching to cypress mulch tonight to see if that helps and thanks for the hot glue tip!

Thanks

What are you using to measure the humidity?
    I find that if inch the water dish closer and closer to the heat pad, eventually you reach a point where the humidity increases and stays.
    I like coconut substrate myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

A hot glue gun would be the best way to stick down the probes with zero risk of it causing problems for the snake.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    The best thing you can do is to switch to a smaller tank. A 70g is over kill for a ball python and as you have learned, is nearly impossible to keep humidity up.

You can hot glue the probe to the glass right over the UTH.

Cypress mulch is in my opinion, the best humidity raising substrate.
    i agree whole heartedly
    I AM MY OWN GOD !

Thanks

a 70g for a Ball python? Way too large IMO, even for an adult. It would definitely be hard to maintain the temps and humidity. That is why I switched to tubs, the tanks were too heavy and hard to clean, and I was unable to get the right temps and humidity down. I would suggest switching to tubs, they hold in humidity very well and it's easy to control temps.

But substrate was all you were asking, you would have to do a lot of misting with certain substrates because heat lamps are nutorious for drying out enclosures. I live in Phoenix, the valley of the sun, so of course my humidity is going to be lower than anything. Which is why I use tubs. I tried cypress mulch with my tank, so I suggest that but I will say you will need to mist it a few times a day. Also look into eco earth, it comes in a block and retains humidity pretty well.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

lol no pro what so ever, but coco husk raised the humidity in my cage.