Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,080

2 members and 2,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I'm losing the battle

For awhile everything was ok, but I added another temp gauge to find that my ambient temps were too low. That being said, I had to add a heat lamp which is just killing my humidity. I have both of my snakes in glass tanks as I prefer them over plastic tubs. I've tried all the tricks. I have tin foil over most of my mesh top, two very big water dishes etc...I don't know what else to try. I have to mist the tanks every night but all that does is spike the humidity super high and then when I wake up and turn the lamps off, the humidity is down to under 40. What else can I do here?
    1.0 Regular Ball Python *Jake The Snake*
    0.1 Pastel Red Tail Boa *Venom*

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: I'm losing the battle

What substrate are you using? Cypress mulch might be a good thing to switch to.

Unfortunately, there isn't all that much besides what you have done to increase humidity. The lamp is the culprit. If you are up for it, you could add a small space heater in the room.
    ~Steffe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

justinsane82 (02-10-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    What substrate are you using? Cypress mulch might be a good thing to switch to.

Unfortunately, there isn't all that much besides what you have done to increase humidity. The lamp is the culprit. If you are up for it, you could add a small space heater in the room.
    It's a mix of eco earth and aspen. A space heater, although a good idea, is impossible. The room that they are in is very large. I'm thinking of trying to find some sort of plastic that I can cut to fit the top rather than tin foil.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

You can buy sheets of acrylic at home depot. They have an acrylic cutter as well so you can cut it yourself. Its a lot easier than it sounds. Then you culd drill holes for ventilation.
    ~Steffe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I hate to say it, but you may have to give in and use tubs! I had the same problems when using glass tanks, and since switching to tubs I can barely keep the humidity low enough. Sorry, but I don't know what else to tell ya.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolo76 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh, and have you tried putting the water dish directly on top of the UTH? Sound simple, but it really does raise the humidity... just a thought!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolo76 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I bought a humidifier to help with my humidity. I was having the same problem. Half the top is covered with foil and everything. So i just gave it a thought and tried it. I went to wal mart and bought a vicks warm steamer, which is essentially a humidifer, for 14 bucks. It holds a gallon and a half of water and raised my humidity anywhere from 5-15% depending on if I have my lamp on or what have you. Just an idea. It may work better for you it may not work at all. But i set it right by his tank, it doesnt vibrate or make any noise. The only time it does is when I put more water in it.

Good Luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cweimer4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Both excellent suggestions. I can't put the water dish over the uth as that is where their hides are and I use that as their basking spot.

As for the humidifier, that would work great if the room wasn't so large.

I'd move them over to tubs but I feel like I'd lose some form of connection with them. I really like walking by and being able to look in their tanks and see what they're doing ya know what I mean?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justinsane82 View Post
    Both excellent suggestions. I can't put the water dish over the uth as that is where their hides are and I use that as their basking spot.

As for the humidifier, that would work great if the room wasn't so large.

I'd move them over to tubs but I feel like I'd lose some form of connection with them. I really like walking by and being able to look in their tanks and see what they're doing ya know what I mean?

The room I have it in is also large. But the humidifier is about 6 inches from the tank, like i said, it doesnt make any noise and from what I can tell, no vibrations as well. You can try to put it right next to the tank like I did. If it doesnt work, keep the receipt. Wal Mart will never know! HAHAHA

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cweimer4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You can put the lamp right on top of the water dish! You can also make a humid hide by putting moss in a plastic container with a hole in it. Make sure you melt the edges of the hole so they are not sharp. The snake can use it if they need more humidity! Good luck! Winter is harsh! I love the name "Jake the snake"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast