Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,185

1 members and 2,184 guests
AR29,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
    Thanks

pooping/peeing in hide?

I got my first BP a few weeks ago and things are going great! She has eaten twice, temps are good and humidity is fine. Im pretty sure shes very close to having her first shed as her eyes clouded up for a few days but are now a bit more clear. Shes been chilling in her hide for the most part except for a few minutes the other day when she was on the hot side of her tank b/c i left the window open for a little while.

Anway, the first time she peed (white urate stuff) it was next to her water bowl. However a little over a week ago i purchased a smaller hide (the one i got was too open i felt) and put some damp sphagnum moss inside to create a microhabitat with higher humidity.

I guess she loves it in there because she hasnt come out since, and because its right in teh middle of teh tank I think its the perfect temp in there. I checked on her today and she had peed (white urate stuff) inside her hide and on the moss i put in there. I took her out and cleaned up but she smelled kinda bad. I dont really want a stinky snake and I cant imagine its very good for her.. should I get her an identical hide? one w/o sphagnum moss? Do you think shes in danger of being in too humid a climate? she stays in there all the time.

She isnt a timid snake and has not balled up when i handle her. Even when i took her out today and she couldnt see very well she was very curious and docile. what do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: pooping/peeing in hide?

I reccomend keeping identical hides on the warm(92) and cool side(82) of the enclosure so she can pick the temp she prefers. She should only need a moss hide when she is in shed otherwise you should try to keep the humidity at around 50%. They will pee wherever they feel like it so dont let that bother you. Just clean up afterwards and you should be fine

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine do that too. It seems snakes can't be litter trained, or at least >>>>>> over there trained. I'm working on an idea for a moist hide that won't involve buying products that get urinated and poo'd on. It's simply an idea in my head at this time.

I'm going to use small litter pans, like for cats and cut out the bottoms partly. I'm going to zip tie or brad in several layers of chamois. Hopefully, this will be a way to get it wet once and have it release moisture continuously for awhile. I don't know, we'll see.
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

Thanks

ur snake will shed in a few days so let her hide and stay hydrated and moist. if she gets too hydrated it wont be a problem. she will crawl out when shes ready. i only use a humid hide when its hot here and i cant keep it humid enough.