Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

0 members and 3,386 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I have no issue with BPs being used as feeders. I would have an issue with someone forcing a unsuitable prey to a snake that doesn't eat other snakes as part of it's diet.

But to feed kingsnakes, cobras, etc that are snake-eaters? No. That's fine. If someone doesn't want to bother selling $10 normal males(and it does often take way more time and fuss than is desirable), and has a market/need to supply them as feeders instead, then it's acceptable to me to supply the feeders.

I have sold many normal males. But if I had a friend who had a snake-eater, I would consider supplying feeders if they were having issues finding them. Consider. Because honestly, I watch each baby emerge from an egg here and glory over every little head... normal or morph.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Hypancistrus (02-12-2016),rlditmars (02-11-2016),Slim (02-11-2016),SmoothScales (02-12-2016),T_Sauer (02-11-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Some fates are worse than death.

Obviously, there are $10 normals under excellent care, and $1000 morphs enduring horrible circumstances, but the better chances are not with the normal.

I breed milk goats, but only sell surplus goats to people who want the animal for meat, and will butcher right away. Since this happens rarely, I usually end up having the animal butchered for our freezer. The standard of care around here is poor, and I won't risk putting a goat in a home that provides inadequate shelter, low quality feed, no hoof trimmings, no wormings, inadequate mineral supplements, and have it penned with bigger horned goats it would be defenseless against.

...a harsh stance for sure, but I've seen too many sad situations.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

cristacake (02-12-2016),Marrissa (02-11-2016),SmoothScales (02-12-2016),wolfy-hound (02-11-2016)

Thanks

Re: Feeding off normal ball pythons...

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post

Obviously, there are $10 normals under excellent care, and $1000 morphs enduring horrible circumstances, but the better chances are not with the normal.

I breed milk goats, but only sell surplus goats to people who want the animal for meat, and will butcher right away. Since this happens rarely, I usually end up having the animal butchered for our freezer. The standard of care around here is poor, and I won't risk putting a goat in a home that provides inadequate shelter, low quality feed, no hoof trimmings, no wormings, inadequate mineral supplements, and have it penned with bigger horned goats it would be defenseless against.

no, not a harsh stance. the animals are not going to waste. what's harsh is knowingly putting an animal in a situation where it will not be properly cared for.

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post

My sentiments exactly. I would rather normals, a "disposable pet" to much of the public, get fed off and benefit another animal than to go to a home with substandard care.

Have I had this happen yet? No, but I also have an adult male mbk on stand by if I have babies who don't thrive. I haven't had trouble finding good homes for my normal babies so far, but I am open to the other option.

It isn't about cost of feeding or housing these babies, or difficulty selling, I would just rather not have the other alternative, a snake in a household that doesn't care for the snake properly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    ~Marissa~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marissa@MKmorphs For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    It's not me who wants to feed off normals... just so you know. I got into breeding pretty much the same time as a friend of mine did. We are both good friends with another breeder who sells his as a packaged deal or whole sale to pet stores. My friend sees this and doesn't have the same opportunity so he is afraid that he wont be able to sell the normals. I am not sure how true this is. I know personally I only have one normal and probably wont buy more as a personal choice.

I am just going to let him do what he wants to do. As for myself, I will not feed normals off to my other snakes. I do have a king snake but he eats mice just fine.

Thanks

So... a little off topic... but when a snake eats another snake... does it constrict, or does it just overwhelm the other with sheer size?

I am okay with snakes being fed to snakes that are snake eaters... but I don't necessarily think I would brag about/ talk about it on snake boards, or to other owners, as someone else said. It's just insensitive. I also feel like wolfy-hound... I would have a hard time feeding healthy babies as feeders if I bred them. I would be excited to see each baby come out, and would not want to think that I was doing that just for them to die. I think this is why I don't breed snakes.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
    So... a little off topic... but when a snake eats another snake... does it constrict, or does it just overwhelm the other with sheer size?
    Its a power and size thing.
    I know they did constrict but it went down alive with the MBK

Thanks
    I dont agree - if he just going to try and feed another snake because he "CANT BE BOTHERED" to try and rehome it then he shouldnt breed snakes.

an Ill snake, or a snake that wont survive anyway is different.
    YOU HAVENT GOT A PYTHON THEY GET LIKE 50FT!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nathaniel1989 For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-12-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunasjy View Post
    It's not me who wants to feed off normals... just so you know. I got into breeding pretty much the same time as a friend of mine did. We are both good friends with another breeder who sells his as a packaged deal or whole sale to pet stores. My friend sees this and doesn't have the same opportunity so he is afraid that he wont be able to sell the normals. I am not sure how true this is. I know personally I only have one normal and probably wont buy more as a personal choice.

I am just going to let him do what he wants to do. As for myself, I will not feed normals off to my other snakes. I do have a king snake but he eats mice just fine.
    If you guys know a guy that sells wholesale, why not ask him to buy yours? He's obviously getting paid for the snakes, you can just get half or even less, the snakes are gone, no work for you, and you get that little bit of money to put back into feeders.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-12-2016 at 06:04 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bks2100 For This Useful Post:

BCS (02-12-2016),wolfy-hound (02-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bks2100 View Post
    If you guys know a guy that sells wholesale, why not ask him to buy yours?
    I'd worry one of my babies would end up starving at a big box store. I'd rather give it away to someone I know will take proper care of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast