Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,336

2 members and 3,334 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

I over fed my bp

So I've had my ball python for over a week. The day I brought her home she was fed by the owner. I did not handle her for a week, and she seemed very content. Always lounging on her stick, hardly ever in her hide. Well exactly 8 days after she arrived at my house I fed her. I over estimated her size at the pet store, and bought a slightly bigger one than I should have. Long story short, I've looked up a lot of different information. And I know that I over fed her. My question is what do I do? Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? Increase in temp, more humidity. I fed her on Friday, as I am writing this it is early morning Tuesday and she has not pooped.
    Any tips? Thanks

Thanks
    Most of mine poop with/after their shed. They don't poop after every meal. I'd just make sure her temps are correct (some people recommend bumping up the hot spot a few degrees when they feed a larger meal than normal). As long as you have her temps correct, she'll be fine with a slightly bigger meal.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Sounds like she was able to swallow it so, in that case, I wouldn't worry. Like Marrissa said, maybe bump up the temp a bit to help in digesting and make sure the rest of the enclosure is up to par. Other than that, you are fine. As for pooping, that's anyone's guess. ha ha.. One of my snakes poops after shedding. Another poops randomly and the last seems to poop right after I clean his cage.. LOL..
    No Legs
    1.0 Vanilla Pastel - Knuckle Head a.k.a. Knuckles
    0.1 Mojave - Mojo Jojo a.k.a. Mojo
    1.0 Normal - Scarlos Estevez a.k.a. Scar

2 Legs
    0.1 Wife
    2.3 Kids

4 Legs
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Charlie
    1.0 Guinea Pig - Gary
    0.2 Red Eared Slider - Stella and Senorita Lumpi
    1.1 Pomapoo - Lawson and Lola

8 Legs
    ? Mexican Curly Hair Tarantula - Sir Luscious Left Foot

Thanks
    In the wild, snakes eat whatever they can find.. even if it is 2x bigger than them. He will be fine just monitor your temps and make sure he doesn't regurgitate

Ryan Hatmaker - Hatmaker Reptiles-

Colubrids and Sand Boas

"Once you get your first snake, you've sold your soul to reptiles. You can try to leave or run away... but they will find you."

Thanks
    If it goes down, she'll be fine. You are worrying too much, but you're still new. They don't always need to be fed the perfect-sized meal. Sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller.

Think about it from our perspective for a moment. Do you always eat the same sized meals? Do you ever "eat with your eyes?" When/if you do, you feel a bit bloated and you digest your food for a longer period of time. Then when you're done digesting you get back at it again.

For the record, the only people I know who measure their food and eat the same amounts every day are those on very strict diets for health reasons and bodybuilders. I don't think a snake matches either category. I would highly suggest you do some reading on general care of ball pythons and what to expect. It will solve a lot of your worries. Welcome to the hobby!

Edit: This should be helpful, and get you started. http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet
    Last edited by zee-man; 04-15-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Added Link to bp.net caresheet
    0.2 Huskies - Twilight (not the movie) & Dusty Rose 1.0 Doberman - Daemon
    0.1 Normal - Nefertiri 1.0 Albino - Tut 0.1 Albino Spider - Tiyi 0.1 BEL - Isis 1.0 Spinner - Imhotep 0.1 Super Pastel - Anaksunamun 1.0 Cinnamon - Ramses
    0.1 Any Boa - Maya 1.0 Albino Boa - Quetz
    0.1 Boss

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    If she swallowed it and didn't regurgitate within 24 hours you are fine. Just don't mess with her and it will resolve itself. Pooping is rarely an indication of anything with these animals, so don't worry about that.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

Re: I over fed my bp

An update for everyone! She is still going strong and she even moved out of her hide for a few hours. Still no regurge. And I did take the advice and bumped it up three degrees. Thanks all for help!!

Thanks
    I hope your heat source is correctly plugged into a thermostate if it is an under tank heat source...ie heat pad....also if the meal was too big the bp would not have attempted to swallow it...I had that happen with my big girl and she wouldnt even strike the rat....
    1.1 Pinstripe - Orion/Eos
    1.1 Lessers - Typhon/Kali
    0.2 Dinkers - Stella & Wildfire
    1.0 Desert - No Name
    1.0 Het Red Axanthic - No name
    0.1 Woma- Cayenne
    0.1 Cinnamon- Nutmeg
    2.1 Mojave- No names
    1.0 Mystic- No Name
    0.1 Mahagony- No Name
    1.0 Black Pastel- No Name
    1.0 SD Tiger Retic- Thor