Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

1 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: help please, Bought a Piebald from Petsmart, something is not right.

I saw the pics and right away I thought maybe mites also, besides the weird coloring, but I have never seen mites in person thank god. I am just wondering if there is any more information on if others see it also?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    That speckle pattern does not look like mites to me. My piebald will get a few spots in her white just like that if she goes through a difficult shed (which happens in the winter sometimes). Usually after one good shed the speckles are gone. My guess there is poor humidity levels at the pet store leading to a bad shed that left behind some of those speckels. The other staining very much looks like it rubbed off from the substrate. Mites tend to be very defined black points.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2016),Bcycling (01-31-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Well all we can do is speculate on the condition/s. Observation and suspicion of different disease processes, scale staining, scale rot is all good but the definitive action is to take the animal back to Petsmart. You shouldn't have to settle for a less than healthy animal for that price. Reconsider this animal and shop right here on bp.net for healthy animals.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Kokorobosoi (01-31-2016)

Thanks

Where are you located? I agree with others. Take it back to pets mart and have them temporarily care for the little girl and explain the condition if really any before the 10 day guarantee return policy runs out. She does look a little thin. I also agree with letting her squirm through your hand with a wet towel to help determine either Mites or some sort of stained discoloration. I'm no expert just what advice I've received from this site has been golden for me and my reptiles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I always thought all white BP's turn pink before they are about to shed ??? IDK

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    They do tend to turn pinkish before shedding, but it would not be in blotches like this one.

I don't think that it's anything but staining, looking at the second pictures. It COULD be the beginning of a scale rot but considering how pristine the rest, especially the actual belly, looks, I think it's just a stain. If so, the first shed in a good environment will see all of it disappear.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2016)

Thanks

Just my thoughts and I know I am a little late to the party. But I would agree with those who suggested the discoloration likely comes from the bedding. Cypress and other darker substrates can often stain light colored snakes like BELS and Pieds. I have seen specks like that associated with mites but also just irritation from bedding or a bad shed. I noticed this hasn't been posted on in a while curious how the snake is doing now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Could be substrate stain or mild scale rot. Definitely second the person who said to run a damp towel over the "stained" spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Cool Re: help please, Bought a Piebald from Petsmart, something is not right.

UPDATE:

I did decide to take the snake back to the store :-(. The discoloration- who knows, the spots- probably from low humidity as suggested, The wrinkles- Very dehydrated.

when I brought it back, I went straight to the othe snake enclosures just see what could have been the problem. The first thing I noticed was that my snakes enclosure had not been cleaned yet after 3 days!! The water was low and filthy. I was so enamored by the snake I hadn't paid attention. (A rookie mistake I will never make again).

Then I looked at the humidity- 0. I thought perhaps the hygrometer was broken..... Other enclosures were between 0 and 10. One poor baby pastel was curled up with some stuck shed in a bone dry enclosure.

I don't know the original reason for the dehydration, but Whatever the reason, the snake was too far gone for a few soaks. When I got home from work that third day, I could tell it was getting worse, so took it straight back. They told me they were taking it to the vet immediately..... I hope they did.

I pointed out the hygrometer readings on the other enclosures, but I'm not confident they believed I knew what I was talking about. I am new at this, but Google told me that much!

thank you all so much for your help. We will stick with our baby normal for now, and perhaps go to Arlington TX next week to check out some in person from people who know their stuff!! (I'm in Ft. Worth).

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BallPythonNewbie For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (02-08-2016),cristacake (02-08-2016),PitOnTheProwl (02-07-2016)

Registered User StarWarsAndSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd find reptile shows to go to if u want more BPs
    Youll find more reputable breeders at them and a huge selection!
    Just my 7 cents hehe
    Fingers crossed for you and your snake
    3 normals-Saint, Zuma, not named yet
    Pastel-Snoke
    Super Pastel-Phasma
    Spider-Tusken
    Corn-not named
    Pinstripe-not named yet
    Fire-Rey

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345