Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

2 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Anyone here a vegan or vegetarian?

I was vegetarian most of the year last year, dropped 50+ pounds, had tons of energy, got super strong and did very well with the ladies! Now I started eating meat again, I got lazy, and I am putting the weight back on. Have you had this issue? Some people say it makes no difference in a meat eating vs vegetarian diet in your bodies ability to burn fat and stay lean. I think it does.
    Thoughts?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    People metabolize foods differently. Most people I know (myself included) do better on a diet that emphasizes meat and quality fats.
    You have to pay attention to what works for you.

Another thought is that you might be sensitive to what is in the meats. Clean grass raised meat and dairy might do better for you. Could it be you are just back to eating more processed foods and fast foods? At the very least read the ingredients on what you consume.
    Last edited by distaff; 08-31-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks

Re: Anyone here a vegan or vegetarian?

I'm a vegetarian. Your body had been used to not eating meat. When you begin eating it again, your body has a bit of a panic. Kind of like when you stopped eating meat, you lost weight (partially due to less protein probably in addition to other aspects). Since you began again it started putting the weight back. I don't know how the lazy part comes into play, as I can't see any reason why it would make you lazy, but eating meat definitely has an affect on your body when you haven't eaten it in a while.

For instance, about a year ago I tried a few bites of chicken for the first time in 3 years, and my body wasn't very happy with that. I threw it up and was sick for the next few days.

I don't know if anything I'm saying has any correlation with your question, but this is my experience with changes due to vegetarian diets and what I've read about them. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Its all about the quality of the meat you consume.
    I try to stay away from the "fast grown" and do not have a problem paying a little more for grass fed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I ate vegetarian for 3 years, I lost some weight and was feeling healthier for a while, but it didn't last and my health started declining. I've found that the healthiest diet for me is one that emphasizes vegetables while still consuming smaller quantities of quality meats and whole grain products that haven't been overly processed. That's why they call it a balanced diet
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-01-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kinley View Post
    I'm a vegetarian. Your body had been used to not eating meat. When you begin eating it again, your body has a bit of a panic. Kind of like when you stopped eating meat, you lost weight (partially due to less protein probably in addition to other aspects). Since you began again it started putting the weight back. I don't know how the lazy part comes into play, as I can't see any reason why it would make you lazy, but eating meat definitely has an affect on your body when you haven't eaten it in a while.

For instance, about a year ago I tried a few bites of chicken for the first time in 3 years, and my body wasn't very happy with that. I threw it up and was sick for the next few days.

I don't know if anything I'm saying has any correlation with your question, but this is my experience with changes due to vegetarian diets and what I've read about them. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was still taking in a huge amount of protein through supplements. I was hitting the gym hard and consuming a minimum of 1 gram per pound I weigh, not including food.

I have fast food on occasion. Nothing like before I was vegetarian.

I do strongly feel like I have digestive problems with meats.

I eat mostly whole foods and it still doesnt sit well

Thanks
    I've been vegan for about three years (with the exception of a couple months when I was on medication that seriously screwed with my metabolism and I had to eat meat). The plant based diet works really well for me, because I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to eggs. Plus I just don't like meat anymore. It just tastes 'off' to me.
    I do notice that I generally feel a lot better since I've been vegan, but I don't know if that's due to the vegan diet or just the fact that I'm no longer accidentally eating small amounts of things like eggs that I'm mildly allergic to in processed foods like chips/cookies/batters/ect.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    I do better when I keep the amount of meat I eat to 25% of my diet.The other 75% I split between veggies, complex carbs and small snacks.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've been vegetarian for 10+ years. For the past year or so have added fish once every week or two, because I was already taking fish oil capsules for the DHA and EPA and figured it would be healthier to eat fresh fish and get all the nutrients available. Dr. Rhonda Patrick is a research scientist with an excellent website and podcast series on nutrition, diet, health, longevity called Found My Fitness.
    http://foundmyfitness.com/

If you're gaining weight: eat less, exercise more

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Golem View Post
    If you're gaining weight: eat less, exercise more

Actually, check your portions, cut them in half and then eat more times a day. Continual eating speeds up your metabolism you just have to not over eat either.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 09-02-2015 at 06:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast