Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

0 members and 3,196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

paring question?

I still have about 2 years to get everythibg ready to try breeding, i`am taking my time and gathering information as much as i can and gathering things here and there. I do have one question about pairing. I came across a few different sites stating that you should pair a higher end morph male to a less expensive female is that true and why?

I would figure it would be the oppsite because the female carries the eggs and so that the babies would get the gene from the mother than the father.
    Ball Pythons
    Normal (Alana)
    Mojave (Achilles)
    Spotnose (Apollo)
    Albino (Banana)

Cats
    Sam
    Baby
    Little Kitty
    Cotton
    Hunter
    Lightning

Thanks

Re: paring question?

I'm pretty sure that it is because you can pair one male to a lot of females so you want to spend more and get more of those, but a female can only have one clutch at a time, and one per season, so you want to get the most out of your money, which means that if you have an expensive female, like a banana spider or something, and you breed her to a normal male, you only have one opportunity to get a clutch with banana spiders and for more clutches like that, you could either spend a ton on more banana spider females, or you could get a bunch of normal females and one single banana spider male. Does that make sense? I hope it did lol
    1.2 Ball Python
    1.0 Arg. Tegu
    0.1 Egyptian Uromastyx

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    Females take several years to get to breeding size. In that amount of time, your investment in that female depreciates possibly many times over. A multiple gene male may cost a tad more initially, but your return is quicker. A male can be ready to breed in as little as 4-6 months if he is a good eater and interested in the ladies. I had Bananas breeding at 4 months old and 450g last season. Pair that with the fact that your male can handle breeding 4/5/6 females depending on his health during breeding season.

Say you want to make BumbleBees..... would you buy 0.3 Bumblebees and a 1.0 Normal male? That would be crazy. You spend ~$200 per female as babies, they take 2-3 years to get to breeding size and they will depreciate in that time.

The wiser choice is to get a 1.0 BumbleBee and breed him to 3-4 Normal females. The odds are the same, your investment is much less, your turnaround is quicker, etc...

I've posted this great article probably 50 times.

Great info- even for the experienced breeder (just to keep you on track).

http://ballpythonbreeder.com/2012/02...thon-breeders/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

BPSnakeLady (11-22-2014),jessica87 (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

The other bit on this to add, because the others have done a great job with the higher end male bit, is your thought about the females carrying the eggs so her genes would be passed on better than the males would. This is not true, as you have the same chances of hitting the same combinations, regardless of which parent snake carries which genes themselves. Male Bumblebee x Female Normal gives you the exact same pairing results as Male Normal x Female Bumblebee.

Best of luck to you!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    (Coreydelong)

Thank you very much for cleaning that up for me. Understand a lot better now. and thanks to all.
    Ball Pythons
    Normal (Alana)
    Mojave (Achilles)
    Spotnose (Apollo)
    Albino (Banana)

Cats
    Sam
    Baby
    Little Kitty
    Cotton
    Hunter
    Lightning

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessica87 View Post

I would figure it would be the oppsite because the female carries the eggs and so that the babies would get the gene from the mother than the father.
    I just wanted to add that the female does not contribute more of the chromosomal genome to the offspring than the male. The female does contribute the mitochondrial genome (which is also inherited maternally in other species).
    1.0 '12 lesser granite yellowbelly
    0.1 '12 lesser
    1.0 banana pastel
    0.1 black pastel pewter
    1.0 '14 pastel pied
    0.1 '13 high white pied
    1.0 pain in the ass bengal Cat
    0.0.X saltwater fish/coral
    0.0.X orchids and carnivorous plants