Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

0 members and 3,318 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Depends on the snake. I have a Mohave male that likes to pop out of his tub and climb into my hair. So, he gets handled a lot by default. Others vary from merely tolerating handling to being actively pissy/hissy when you pull them out of the tub, and one will strike but is improving. I actually try to handle the pissy or defensive ones more often, in addition to removing them for tub cleaning, just for a minute or two until they settle, and then I put them back.

Two of the boas get handled a lot because when the enclosure door is opened they often come out of their enclosures, onto my shoulder, and up toward the ceiling fan - all my boas are fascinated by it even when it's turned off.
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-01-2014 at 12:34 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: For those of you with multiple snakes...

I handle my snakes whenever I feel like it. I also handle them on cleaning days. Typically each snake is handled at least once a week.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Registered User IndigoMaverick91's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: For those of you with multiple snakes...

I have two Bp's, both young and currently housed together. (The will be separated later when they are old enough and heavy enough to breed.)
    Testiklese is my male pastel who is 11months, and Artemis is my 1yrold normal.
    She's I'd an absolute- heart melting sweety.

He's a little head shy, and a bit more skiddish if someone new wants to handle him.
    With me, he's gettin a lot better of being head shy and being more relaxed when I'm holding him.
    I generally handle them both pretty often and at the same time, or separately within the same day.

Arty loves to be out, I can take her out an put her around my neck, and she'll stay there for hours.

So, honestly I think it depends on the snake.
    Some can be pretty shy, and some are just as lovable as can be.

Artemis is everyone's favorite.
    She's mellow and sweet.
    My favorite thing is when she's around my neck and cranes we neck to my face for a kiss.

Too much handling can be stressful to some/ most snakes.
    And too little of handling can cause them to become more shy and fearful.
    Feeding day I handle mine for a little while as the mice thaw, then once fed I leave them alone for about two days so they can relax and digest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12