Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

3 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tubs...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Flex watt needs the air space. It ideally is vented on one or the other surface to prevent thermal blocking. It also drops the runaway stat temp a bit, the problem with flex watt, it runs too hot really.

I am going to add some other suggestions on racks that is not mentioned much, remember for the most part they need a warm room to hold correct ambient/cool temps. If the room is cool (below 74º) the other temps often are off with heroic efforts needed to correct. I would also in the efforts to increase peoples safety suggest using PVCx as a construction material. It will not burn at all or well. It will not spread a fire either it remains localized at the ignition point. It additionally dimensionally stable, highly water and chemical resistant, does not out gas (unless heated to 300ºF+). It also doesn't weigh a ton. The amount of time to construct a rack off sets the cost of materials.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Deluge (03-30-2015)

Thanks
    The room the rack will be going in doesn't drop below 78 degrees, so I don't think that's an issue. I'm using a plastic storage shelf from Lowe's, and the shelves are vented, so the heat tape isn't going to be smothered. I'm actually worried about it venting too much. I was thinking about mounting the heat tape onto a reflective foam board panel so more of the heat would be utilized. I'd drill some holes in it so it can still breathe, but deliver heat more efficiently at the same time. Obviously, this setup will be thoroughly tested before any animal gets moved in. And I don't really mind taking my time with this, I enjoy building stuff and making things work more efficiently. In the end, it'll be cheap and it'll work just as well as a manufactured rack.

Also, I've read that heat tape can run a little hot. And I can understand that if it was plugged directly into an uncontrolled power source, but if it's being controlled by a reliable thermostat, how can it run too hot? I'm constantly monitoring my temps and my thermostat is set to 90 degrees, but the surface of the tub barely hits 88 degrees. So I don't understand how it would run too hot if it's hooked up to a thermostat and it's actually losing ~2 degrees during heat transfer. But I guess losing ~2 degrees isn't a big deal, since when the snake lays on it, it essentially insulates it and bumps up the temp a bit. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for your input!

Thanks

Re: Tubs...

No worries, I was thinking the same thing lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Racks are prone to having the probe pull loose and the stat can only work if the probe is in place. Every thermostat can fail. I have owned a number and worked with even more and have seen herpstats, helix, eco zone, ranco, and Johnson give up the ghost. Proportional units tend to fail on. This can be caused by a power spike or 'dirty' power as well. Plan on the worst and hope for the best. Stat failure should not kill the animals a heat source that will hit 130+ degrees if the stat fails will cause havoc. I have seen stats fail and heaters get so hot the tub melted. There is no need to have a heat source get over 100ºF ever. If you need that kind of heat and are losing 10ºF the system design is at fault.

Thanks
    Def agree on using PVC board, its well worth it. I can understand though if its not a option due to $ or availability constraints. I dont use Flexwatt, I use THG instead so I can't compare the one to the other. I also agree with the point on the probe issue, you will often have to try it in different locations on the rack to get the more consistent temps throughout the rack. I have had mine near the begining of the heat tape and found this to be one of the worst spots as the rest of the rack runs too hot. I find in about the middle works best.
    Cheers, Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12