Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

3 members and 3,413 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Ball Python soaking for 5 days???

Hello on 12/16/14 I discovered my ball python should be shedding soon as its been 7 weeks since her last time. I saw later that night her eyes were slightly dull and her skin was too and she had that "pink" tinge on her belly. That night at around 10 pm she went to her pool, coiled up, and soaked. I never really see her in her pool but I figured it was ok because shes shedding. She was there all night, all the next day/night, and i took her out the next day (12/18/14) to dry her off because idk i dont want her to get scale rot or just get over hydrated. I dried her off at around 4pm and placed her back in her cage NEXT to her pool, not in it. She stayed next to it until that night at around 9-10pm, then she was back coiled up in her pool. she stayed there all night, all next day/night, all next day/night, all today and shes still there tonight. (12/21/14) her eyes are very dull now but her skin looks nice i guess but thats because shes in the water. Is this normal, or if not is it at least not dangerous for her to be soaking that long? Her ambient temp is 79, cool spot is 76, and hot spot is 90. its a little dry this time in winter but her humidity stays about 57-67% on its own. I usually run my shower and steam the room to get her humidity around 75-79% but I havent the past couple days because shes been soaking so much. Please let me know if u know anything about this, have had a similar situation, or can assure me that this is not dangerous for my snake, thanks.

Thanks

Re: Ball Python soaking for 5 days???

Any chance of having mites?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I second that, maybe mites? Neither of my 2 snakes like water. Actually they both kind of treat it like battery acid except to drink.

Thanks

Yes she has a slight infestation, ive been working to get rid of them. ive treated her enclosure and everything with provent a mite and washed everything twice in the past 2 months, and they were gone for a couple weeks but came back. my cage has a wood frame so its going a pain to get rid of them considering mites love wood apparently. any ideas on effective mite removal procedure? i already went thru one can of provent a mite but i have another.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Maybe invest in a handheld steam cleaner and use that in combination with Provent-a-mite. Also are you spraying around the enclosure outside as well to more or less make a barrier. And that is why your bp is soaking so much. I imagine mites would be very irritating.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

BpOsirus (12-22-2014)

Thanks

Not "ALL" mites love wood .... These are parasite mites not termites .... When Treating for mites when they are visible and it is obvious they are present treating twice in 2 months is not even close to enough .... You should clean the enclosure and everything in it thoroughly once a week for 3 or 4 weeks, after each cleaning apply the provent a mite to the subrate in the fresh enclosure and after it is dry and the smell of fumes from the provent a mite are no longer present then return your snake and the freshly cleaned items (water dish, hide, and other items) to the enclosure you can also buy a treatment that you can apply directly to your snake from the pet store ... I use these in unison but only the kind you apply to them when there is an infestation .... The kind I use is made by Natural Chemistry and is called reptile spray

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T_Sauer For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-22-2014),BpOsirus (12-22-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BpOsirus View Post
    my cage has a wood frame so its going a pain to get rid of them considering mites love wood apparently. any ideas on effective mite removal procedure? i already went thru one can of provent a mite but i have another.
    The fumes from the provent a mite will do the killing just as a flea bomb would ... No need to saturate or get carried away with it

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T_Sauer For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-22-2014),BpOsirus (12-22-2014)

Thanks

Thanks everyone I kind of combined everyones input and made a hopefully super effective procedure to rid them. I will let everyone know how it goes, Im in the process of it all now.