Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,046

0 members and 3,046 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Will BPs refuse food which they think is too big? Are they scared of it?

Last week I decided to make the transition to rats, my BP has been on medium mice for a while now. I bought a pack of weaned white rats, looks identical to the mice I've been feeding him, and he showed a little interest then just ignore it for the rest of the time it was in there. I feed my BP f/t and he has never ate live. I compared the rat to the size of his body and he could definitely take it. I'm not sure if he just doesn't like rats, or if he was intimidated by the size, or if he thought he could not swallow it.

I'm going to investigate whether it's the size or the type of rodent, first of all I will purchase a smaller rat, if he still does not take it I will attempt adult mice.

Opinions on whether he is scared or whether he just doesn't like rats? Either way I'm still going to have to test it, just wanted to get some thoughts first. Worst comes to worst I'll just have to start feeding him doubles when he reaches the max mouse size which my local reptile supplies sell.

Edit: I replaced the weaned rat with the medium mouse after he wasn't eating it, then he ate the medium mouse straight away, so I'm certain he is not fasting.
    Last edited by Jaydan; 08-25-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks

Re: Will BPs refuse food which they think is too big? Are they scared of it?

Rats smell different next time you're thawing before feeding rub the mouse on the rat to give it the mouse scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    What works best for me is going to a pet store and asking for a bag of dirty substrate from their mice enclosure (used substrate, poop and stinky and all) because it's filled with mouse scent. And then get your thawed rat and roll it around inside the bag to coat it with the scent. Warm it and offer again, and the BP should take it no problem.

Like stated, rats smell totally different, so most people need to transition in this way or another way to coat the rat with a mouse scent.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-25-2016 at 06:52 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You went from medium mice to weaned rats? This is a HUGE difference pretty much double in size granted they give the proper name and the feeders are correctly sized.

If that is the case that's problem number one, problem number two you are trying to switch to another type of food and while it might be easy and done in one meal for some BP, most will require tough love and one of the easier way to switch is to switch to a different prey that is the same exact size and once used to the new prey you can move on to a bigger size if necessary.

Tough love means your snake does not eat you do not offer something else that of course requires proper weight enough to handle a few weeks or months without food.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-25-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    Deborah Stewart