Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,384

3 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Tank size

Thanks

Tank size

Hi, wondering about opinions on whether a tank can really be "too big"? Right now I've got my hatchling in a ten gallon and another coming soon, she climbs everything and is quite active. I'm looking at building them their own homes though, but I'd like to only do it once. So ideally as they grow out of the ten gallon, I'll be moving them into their permanent home. I'm thinking a 30" cube or possibly even 36", built to go in a corner with rock walls along two sides, doors on the other, so they can stack (with a space in between for when extra heating is needed in the winter, welcome to Canada!). There would be lots of things to climb on at different levels, a handful of hides on the bottom. The hides I would be hand making so that as the BPs get bigger, I can get them bigger hides as well. Any thoughts? What are your adults in/how did you get them to that size? Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Generally, they can feel comfortable in tanks that are supposedly "too big", as long as you really clutter up the space with branches, fake leaves, stuff, a bunch of places to hide. Wide, open space with only a little place to hide is what makes a tank "too big" and puts stress on the ball python.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of higher maintenance in keeping the tank and all the stuff in it clean.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-20-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks

Re: Tank size

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Generally, they can feel comfortable in tanks that are supposedly "too big", as long as you really clutter up the space with branches, fake leaves, stuff, a bunch of places to hide. Wide, open space with only a little place to hide is what makes a tank "too big" and puts stress on the ball python.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of higher maintenance in keeping the tank and all the stuff in it clean.
    Awesome, thanks! That's the plan - I'm looking forward to getting started!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah, don't let anyone squash your passion for a naturalistic vivarium for your snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

just remember when you go to build that ball pythons live in small holes in the ground and are uncomfertable in open spaces so if you do anything big make sure it has enough cover and for lack of a better word clutter that they do not get stressed
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nwright View Post
    Hi, wondering about opinions on whether a tank can really be "too big"? Right now I've got my hatchling in a ten gallon and another coming soon, she climbs everything and is quite active. I'm looking at building them their own homes though, but I'd like to only do it once. So ideally as they grow out of the ten gallon, I'll be moving them into their permanent home. I'm thinking a 30" cube or possibly even 36", built to go in a corner with rock walls along two sides, doors on the other, so they can stack (with a space in between for when extra heating is needed in the winter, welcome to Canada!). There would be lots of things to climb on at different levels, a handful of hides on the bottom. The hides I would be hand making so that as the BPs get bigger, I can get them bigger hides as well. Any thoughts? What are your adults in/how did you get them to that size? Thanks in advance

40g breeder. Made the big ol lid. Has led's in it to reach the darker areas. Dual 12in t5ho hydroponics fixture. One grow bulb one uvb. Heated by side of tank mounted heat panel. No heat lamps or emitters. I have a diy fogger that runs this and 3 other large frog tanks. My baby is fairly large. Never actually measured him.

Proper bio soil is the key. You can google a good recipie like i did and have enough to plant everything in the house, or get from somewhere like joshsfrogs. With good planting the hardest part is finding sturdy plants. Pick out poop and sheds then go. Peel up the moss and stir the dirt from time to time. Love it. No mo bedding changes.

Boom. Nature straight down to simulating sunlight the best manmade lights can.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Mclaughlin For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-26-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I ordered a grow light for one of my kingsnake tanks. (Currently on back order, but if I like it, I'll get the same for the other tank.) I really enjoy having stuff for them to explore and climb on.

Better than TV. Programming starts at nightfall. The tanks are in semi-darkness at that point, so I like to spy on them with a little flash light. I usually find them lava-lamping, or lounging on a branch, spying back at me .

Thanks
    Yes. Were working on some blue leds for night viewing. Once you go natural planted youll never go back. Setup is the crappy part. Then it takes care of itself. Be sure to use bigger, more established plants. Funny you mention kingsnake. I have someone that wants me to take his. Funny enough his snake is racist... i swear...

Thanks
    That's pretty cool Kris. I'd love to try something like that.

You shouldn't let your BP smoke though. I heard it's bad for them.
    6.10 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas - "Marco and Esmeralda"
    1.0 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python - "Rossi"
    1.1 Boa Imperator Rescues - "Clifford and Bonnie"
    0.1 Hog Island Boa - "Luna"
    1.0 Dumeril's Boa - "Sage"

RIP Wintre
    My iHerp Page

11. The Following User Says Thank You to treaux For This Useful Post:

Kris Mclaughlin (11-26-2015)