Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

1 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    One more question--!

I'm likely going to forego the flex-watt heat tape and just stick with a RBI RHP. I'll add a UTH as a hot spot if needed in the winter if the RHP alone is not sufficient (although from the looks of it, it looks like it should be fine). For asthetics, I would like to ask AP to install the fluorescent lighting. A Google search of the setup show that they place the bulb towards the back of the enclosure. Is that true to your guys' experience? How far away should I place the RHP from the fluorescent bulbs? I know they don't get very hot, but I would also like to avoid damage to either the RHP or bulb in either case.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: PVC Husbandry (Animal Plastics, Boaphile, Vision Cages)

If you have the RHP sent to Animal Plastics they will install it for free and router a channel for the power cord as well, at least they did with my Pro-Products RHPs. Also, on the subject of lighting, call them when you place your order and ask about their LED light option. Less obtrusive than fluorescent fixtures, lasts way longer, and uses less energy. I just got two T-8s from them and had them CNC the channel for their LED strip ($10 per cage) and then got my own light strip off ebay ($15ish). AP only offers blue, white, and red LED lights so I got a remote operated color changing set on ebay for way cheap. If you go that route just be sure that you get an 8mm LED strip. That's what size they cut the light recess.
    I believe this is the same light set that I ordered.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-12V-Water...-/381288601909

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

jylesa (07-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks jmcrook! I didn't know they had an option for fluorescent lights. Looks much better and is significantly cheaper than the fluorescent lighting they offer. If you don't mind me asking, how did you fix the LED stirp to your enclosure and how was the installation? I'm not exactly handy, haha, my last lighting/electrical fiasco was installing ballast bypass LEDs into my kitchen light fixture, and that was an adventure in itself. I'm assuming this will be much easier.
    Last edited by jylesa; 07-25-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jylesa View Post
    Thanks jmcrook! I didn't know they had an option for fluorescent lights. Looks much better and is significantly cheaper than the fluorescent lighting they offer. If you don't mind me asking, how did you fix the LED stirp to your enclosure?
    You are quite welcome! Mine are adhered with an adhesive backing on the light strip. I know... No tape in an enclosure... but they are very snug fitting in the channel that they route in the top of the cage and sit more than flush with the surface of the cage ceiling, no protrusion at all. The snakes would have to have access to a screwdriver or some other sort of leverage and opposible thumbs in order to pry them free hahaha. In the event that I notice anything coming loose I know that others on here have used a bead of silicone to ensure they never come off. I also opted for a waterproof set of lights. Most are water resistant but I figured it was worth a couple more bucks for peace of mind. If you have AP install the LED strip that they offer the whole LED option runs you $40 vs $10 for them to cut the channel and you install your own LED strip. Sure, it's an absolutely guaranteed perfect fit with their LED and you don't have to install anything but they don't have an on/off switch (have to plug/unplug to turn on or off) or dimmer and are only one color. I really wanted the option to change colors for day/night viewing and cleaning purposes, and my set has like 20 color options, dimming, remote controlled. I absolutely love them.
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-25-2016 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Boaphile hands down Jeff builds awesome cages!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    You are quite welcome! Mine are adhered with an adhesive backing on the light strip. I know... No tape in an enclosure... but they are very snug fitting in the channel that they route in the top of the cage and sit more than flush with the surface of the cage ceiling, no protrusion at all. The snakes would have to have access to a screwdriver or some other sort of leverage and opposible thumbs in order to pry them free hahaha. In the event that I notice anything coming loose I know that others on here have used a bead of silicone to ensure they never come off. I also opted for a waterproof set of lights. Most are water resistant but I figured it was worth a couple more bucks for peace of mind. If you have AP install the LED strip that they offer the whole LED option runs you $40 vs $10 for them to cut the channel and you install your own LED strip. Sure, it's an absolutely guaranteed perfect fit with their LED and you don't have to install anything but they don't have an on/off switch (have to plug/unplug to turn on or off) or dimmer and are only one color. I really wanted the option to change colors for day/night viewing and cleaning purposes, and my set has like 20 color options, dimming, remote controlled. I absolutely love them.
    Hey again,

Sorry for all the questions! The product you linked (I think I will likely get that one, checking on Amazon, the one you linked seems to be a good bet) is 5m long. How did you shorten(??)/work the cable around your enclosure? I am very not handy at all, but this looks simple enough. How far away was it from your heat panel?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jylesa View Post
    Hey again,

Sorry for all the questions! The product you linked (I think I will likely get that one, checking on Amazon, the one you linked seems to be a good bet) is 5m long. How did you shorten(??)/work the cable around your enclosure? I am very not handy at all, but this looks simple enough. How far away was it from your heat panel?
    No worries at all! The LED strip can be cut to whatever length you want. It's marked where you can do so, all you need is a pair of scissors. Animal Plastics routes the LED channel about 6" from the back of the cage top. Sits just behind the heat panel. I'd definitely recommend having AP do the recessed LED channel for you. Well worth the $10.
    When installing the light strip I fed it through the top of the cage, left enough hanging out at the connecting end so that I could connect to the transformer/power supply and then cut it at the closest length that fits the channel. I'll try to post some pics shortly. Also check out the How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!sticky on here. Way helpful and informative thread!
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-26-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks

LED Strip behind the heat panel in AP LED light recessed channel

LED strip cord exit on the top of the enclosure (I cover this part with black electric tape, it's pretty bright)

LED remote sensor (I attach this to the back of the enclosure with adhesive backed velcro so I can remove it easily if needed. It's got two holes to screw it in place but I wanted minimal drilling and holes in my brand new cages. I use this velcro for just about everything!)
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-26-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks
    Hey jmcrook,

Thanks a ton for the pictures, advice and help! Definitely clears things up a bit. I guess the only thing is making sure the LED strip is 8mm before buying although it looks like the SMD 3528s are typically smaller, haha, but definitely thanks for all the help !

Edit: Doh, I guess the numbers correspond to the size, which would make sense, haha, shows how much I know about these things.
    Last edited by jylesa; 07-26-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks

No problem! Happy to help out! The lights I sent the link to should be 8mm. It took me a bit of research when ordering mine but the 3528 LEDs are an 8mm wide strip and I believe the 5050 LEDs are a 10mm wide strip. 3528 refers to the size of the individual light chips in the strip being 3.5mm x 2.8mm. I can't say 100% for sure that my strip is exactly 8mm but it fits super snug and secure in the channel that AP cut for me and that's what counts in my book!

edit: yeah, I was pretty clueless when I was trying to get my cages/accessories ordered. Using the LEDs that animal plastics uses would have taken all the guesswork out of it but I was dead set on having the option to change colors at the push of a button and AP LEDs didn't offer that
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-26-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast