Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

1 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Re: Walking

Quote Originally Posted by Jessimica View Post
    "Natural Stimulation" is more like "stress" to be honest, snakes are not animals that require fun or adventure, they like feeling safe and secure.

That said, I have walked around outdoors with my milk snake on my shoulders, but only during the summer when it is at least 75F+

I wouldn't do it anytime colder than that, because with even a slight breeze it can be significantly colder. I also wouldn't put my snakes in the grass for fear of bugs and ticks. But I have seen many people do it so that's just my opinion.
    Your snake is not going to get mites just being in the grass. Mites must be specific to reptiles to affect your snakes and cannot live off a host for very long, so you aren't just going to find them laying about in the grass. Ticks are also very unlikely, as you'd be able to find one long before it ever attached itself to the snake. I have had snakes for 8 years and I take them all out and let them crawl in the grass (excluding the garter because he's too flighty) and I have yet to see a single mite or tick on any of them.

I also do not take my snakes out below 75F, and below 80F there must be a decent amount of sun (no overcast days) and little to no wind.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Jessimica (10-24-2014)

Thanks

Re: Walking

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    Your snake is not going to get mites just being in the grass. Mites must be specific to reptiles to affect your snakes and cannot live off a host for very long, so you aren't just going to find them laying about in the grass. Ticks are also very unlikely, as you'd be able to find one long before it ever attached itself to the snake. I have had snakes for 8 years and I take them all out and let them crawl in the grass (excluding the garter because he's too flighty) and I have yet to see a single mite or tick on any of them.

I also do not take my snakes out below 75F, and below 80F there must be a decent amount of sun (no overcast days) and little to no wind.
    Thanks, I didn't know that about mites or ticks

Thanks
    I would think going onto the cement would be better because its probably warmer
    Im just throwing around my opinions. Im trying to give as much help as I've received on this website

1.0 Ball Python
    2.0 Red Clawed Scorpion

(1.0 means Male right?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12