Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

0 members and 3,222 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Head resting up viv wall normal? Picture

I won't be taking her to the vet YET for two reasons , she doesn't seem ill or sick to me and I've already wasted hundreds of pounds cash on the snake, that I've only owned around a month! Due to the idiots that sell snakes in reptile shops failing to say what a royal actually needs and failing to mention the starter kit they sell you is a load of useless crap!
    in the month I've had her I've bought three different vivs, various heating elements and temp probes/guns etc... You name it I've bought it, so after wiping my bank account clean I refuse to find more hundreds in cash to take her to the vet because she holds her head up! If anything this snake will go back to the shop she came from as she has cost me a small fortune and now after all that cost and best intentions now she maybe sick! I've had enough of all these forums with nothing but contradicting advise, what is a new owner to do, who should they listen to for advise, it's ridiculous!
    My royal was sold to me at a reputable reptile shop, with a starter kit and heat mat that's all they need!
    Really!! Now it seems I need specific temps on all areas of the floor, then I need specific air temps also, then the humidity needs to be this and that, then I can't house her in a viv, must be a rub etc etc etc etc.....
    What is a newbie suppose to do, I wish I didn't care like most owners obviously don't , have a crappy glass tank with stick on thermometers! I go out and buy everything she could possibly need, my house looks like a reptile shop I'm not joking, so after all that she is now sick...... Well I give up!

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    Your setup is lovely, the fact that she may be ill is almost certainly not a result of that. In fact, she very well could have been coming down with it when you purchased her. Who knows? You've done a wonderful job with the setup, and the fact that there are lots of housing options is irrelevant if yours works for your animal. Kudos to you for putting in the effort. But purchasing an animal also has associated vet costs at one point or another. In fact, after spending quite a lot of money on the setup for my first snake, I ended up spending hundreds on vet bills for a RI that she must have already had, and all in the first two months. It happens. If it is not a cost you are comfortable with, then don't purchase an animal. After a month, most shops and breeders will not take the animal back. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I'm just being honest.

On a forum, you will always receive varying opinions. I would perhaps give a little more weight to those with more experience, over others, but that is my opinion. At any rate, you will do as you wish regardless of the advice offered. If you do not want the responses, don't ask the question. Simple as that. And I do not appreciate being ranted at when I've offered advice that was asked for. As such, you will receive no more from me.

Best of luck with your snake.

- Nakita

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

Sammiebob (10-14-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ash81 View Post
    she is eating
    For whatever it's worth, I think as long as she's eating regularly, she's probably fine.

Thanks
    I do have to agree here with WarriorPrincess90,

We all understand you are annoyed and irritated by all the different things you read and people tell you, but that is no reason to take it out on her while she is only trying to help you and your snake!!

Now my 2 cents, I dont think at this point it is an RI for a couple of reasons.

1. She is eating, in my understanding snakes with RI stop eating.
    2. You mention nothing about slime/mucus being anywhere in her mouth or on the walls of your viv.
    3. you mention nothing about her making weird noises wich usually come with RI.

now i could be wrong, i am not an expert but the only way to make sure everything is ok with your BP is to take her to a vet. if she is healthy you will only pay for the consult wich shouldnt be to expansive but then you can enjoy your BP knowing there is nothing going on.
    YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCue...yj1vBeeIUZVl2Q

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

I won't be taking her to the vet YET for two reasons , she doesn't seem ill or sick to me and I've already wasted hundreds of pounds cash on the snake, that I've only owned around a month! Due to the idiots that sell snakes in reptile shops failing to say what a royal actually needs and failing to mention the starter kit they sell you is a load of useless crap!
    in the month I've had her I've bought three different vivs, various heating elements and temp probes/guns etc... You name it I've bought it, so after wiping my bank account clean I refuse to find more hundreds in cash to take her to the vet because she holds her head up! If anything this snake will go back to the shop she came from as she has cost me a small fortune and now after all that cost and best intentions now she maybe sick! I've had enough of all these forums with nothing but contradicting advise, what is a new owner to do, who should they listen to for advise, it's ridiculous!
    My royal was sold to me at a reputable reptile shop, with a starter kit and heat mat that's all they need!
    Really!! Now it seems I need specific temps on all areas of the floor, then I need specific air temps also, then the humidity needs to be this and that, then I can't house her in a viv, must be a rub etc etc etc etc.....
    What is a newbie suppose to do, I wish I didn't care like most owners obviously don't , have a crappy glass tank with stick on thermometers! I go out and buy everything she could possibly need, my house looks like a reptile shop I'm not joking, so after all that she is now sick...... Well I give up!
    I understand your frustration. Almost everyone starting out buys the wrong stuff because, as you said, the "here is everything you need for your snake starter kit all wrapped up in one neat box!!!" that is sold in the pet stores is totally wrong for BP's. When is the last time you walked into a shop and saw a rack/tub setup for sale? Or even a decent thermostat?

You also have to remember that stores are in the business of selling stuff, especially highly marked-up equipment. Most specialty stores do not make it their business to research which stuff is best suited for your purpose. It's up to you to determine whether or not your purchases are appropriate for your critter. Frankly, they love customers like you - because you keep coming back despite their crappy customer service and advice - and that goes for more than just reptile stores!

To answer your question about the RI...
    Is your snake resting for long periods of time with her head and neck straight up along one side or in the corner of the enclosure?
    When she yawns do you see lines of mucous between her jaws?
    Does she have bubbles in her mouth, throat, or coming out of her nose?
    If you pick her up, let her rest, and put your ear close to her head, do you hear any popping or wheezing sounds as she breathes?
    If you hold her hand under the front third of her body so you can feel her lung when she breathes, does she feel congested like a hose with air & water gurgling through it, or is she clear?
    Has she stopped eating?

If the answer to all of those is 'No' then most likely her head-up attitude before wasn't due to an RI, but due to the fact that she's been in several different enclosures over the last month, and she was stressed and investigating her new home(s).

If she continues to eat, use her hides, thermoregulate, and not lay unmoving for hours with her head and neck straight up then she's likely fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (10-14-2014)

Thanks

Yeah rant over! It wasn't aimed at any individual....

Its looking like something I'm afraid, head up resting in corner for lengthy periods yes, although still hides most of the time, held her real close and saw a little bubble come from front of mouth, and then later what sounded like a very quiet sneeze?
    Ive turned the temps up to an ambient of 86-80, although in the hides on the floor it's more like 94-86 ? Is that right?

Thanks

I can't see any signs of mucus on the tank, or any where on the snake nor does she open mouth breath... I'm not brave enough to open her mouth for a look , plus I'm trying not to bother her much.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Ive turned the temps up to an ambient of 86-80, although in the hides on the floor it's more like 94-86 ? Is that right?
    That will help, though I wouldn't get them any hotter.

Given the bubble and wheeze, it's time to call the vet. It will cost less to treat now than if you wait.

Thanks

My female pastel het G.S. does the sane thing with her hide. Most of the time her body is mostly inside then her head is up on top of the hide looking out ward. Belly heat was my first thought but my temp inside the hide was at 89-91. I then check the ambient air temp and it was in the mid 80s. I keep 9 other snakes in the same rack as her and none of the other snakes did this. In above posts there's talk about possible RI but I'm sure mine doesn't. She's been doing this for almost 3 years now (since I got her as a juvenile). All my snakes will "yawn" normally I only see them doing that after they feed. I was told that's how they get their jaw put back into place. Anyways, I've chocked mine up to the snakes personality being the reason for this.

Thanks

Adding to my post a few minutes ago... i missed where you said you heard a sneeze and a bubble... i agree with bcr229, you should probably have her checked out sooner than later. With that being said, call different vets in your area and research online as far as what vets in your area have knowledge of snakes. If I have a sick snake I'm going to drive over a 100 miles, passing dozens of vets to get to one that knows about snakes. When I got my first bp I was in the same boat as you... pet shop selling me this "starter kit" with a picture of a snake on it saying that is exactly what I needed. I spent months buying new UTH temp gun, fogger to help humidity (that was a huge waste!) And countless of other bad equipment. I could have bought all the snakes I own today for the amount I spent on my first normal ball python and all the junk! It makes me sick to think about. But, here I am years down the road and I'm addicted to snakes. So keep your head up! What you read on line and what people tell you isn't always the best way for you. You might have to tweak 10 different "right ways" to come up with the best solution/environment for you ans your snake. The more you know the better and hopefully this experience will turn into a learning experience for you and you don't quit. You'll come to find out how awesome these snakes are and you won't regret it. I hope this helps in some way... take care

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast