Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,419

4 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

feeding question less than year old female bp

i have a maybe 1.5 ft to 2 ft female bp when i got her the person said she was eating twice a week a regular size frozen mouse. now my question is she seems to have no problem eating twice a week but if im suposed to wait 48 hours to handle her that really only leave one day a week? do i have to wait 48 hrs? and can i up the size of her meals so maybe she will eat once a week instead? when she eat there is a hardly noticible lump not big at all. i know the rule of dont feed bigger than biggest part of body im just curious because i want to be able to handle her more than once a week thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Do you know how much she weighs (in grams)? If you have access to a kitchen scale, that's an easy way to measure. If not, do you have a picture of her that you can share with us?

Once they reach about the 500 gram mark, you can start feeding them an appropriately sized meal once/week. For this size BP, that will be a small rat (which is the equivalent of about three adult mice per feeding). Once you get on this schedule, you've solved your wanting to handle problem.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Id love to share some pictures but im new to forum and im not sure how to do so it ask for a url but doesnt give me an option to browse photos???

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: feeding question less than year old female bp

Quote Originally Posted by dgrout1989 View Post
    Id love to share some pictures but im new to forum and im not sure how to do so it ask for a url but doesnt give me an option to browse photos???
    If only someone would make a how-to guide on how to post pictures. Oh wait... I did last week and it's stickied at the top of the Site Info and Pictures subforums! Enjoy! http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-Post-Pictures
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    That helped alot thank you I posted a couple pics under my first bp can you check them out ley me know what you think

Thanks
    Hey pretty snake!

Yeah you can definitely bump up the size so that you can decrease number of feedings per week.

Can you get rats? That will open up a whole new world of sizes for you.

Though if you can't you can also feed multiple items per feeding so that you are still only feeding once a week but she is still eating twice as much.

Thanks

If you feed a proper meal, feeding once a week is just fine. I've been feeding mine once a week since they were about a 100g and they're all doing just fine.

Get a scale to monitor her weight. That will also give you a much better idea of what meal to offer.

By the way, if you have a smartphone, you can download the Tapatalk app and post photos straight from your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 10-25-2014 at 04:58 AM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    You can feed a larger meal every 2 weeks and grow ball python plenty fast.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    48 hours seems long. I have 10 month old BP @ 350 grams, feeding him weaned rat (35 grams) every 5 days, around 7:30 pm. He's fine 24 hours later. When we move up to next size of rat I'll give him 48 hours to digest the first couple of times.

For instance I fed him Thursday night and then Friday night I left the front door of vivarium open and allowed him to 'escape'; we played a session of Hide And Seek for around 3 hours so I was picking him when he headed for places I didn't want him to go, and held him a couple of times for 15-20 minutes with no problems. He's very curious and likes to explore.

One great piece of advice I read here is: observe your snake - get to know his 'personality', and when he's comfortable being held and when he wants to be left alone.
    Last edited by The Golem; 10-25-2014 at 08:30 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Golem For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    If you feed a proper meal, feeding once a week is just fine. I've been feeding mine once a week since they were about a 100g and they're all doing just fine.

Get a scale to monitor her weight. That will also give you a much better idea of what meal to offer.

By the way, if you have a smartphone, you can download the Tapatalk app and post photos straight from your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    i will for sure pick up a scale the next day im off work or maybe have my wife pick one up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast