Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,194

1 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Possible RI?

Thanks

Possible RI?

So, I have recently purchased a tiger ball python and she seems to be acting normal in her cage. Sometimes she stops and raises her head, but then lowers it and keeps moving on, never just looks up into the sky like the stargazers do. Now, today I attempted to feed her and the rat pooped all over the bin while they were in there. She was unsuccessful at feeding (this is our first shot so no big deal), but she got a lot of rat poop on her so i gave her a bath to wash her off. While in the bath, I could hear her wheezing a little. This is weird because I had specifically listened for any sort of wheezing the first day that I purchased her, and several days after that, nothing. Only during and right after I took her out of the bath was she wheezing, and it wasn't every breath either, only some breaths. So, I decided to take a peak into her mouth and everything looked normal from what I've seen online however there were a few bubbles at the back of her throat. Tomorrow I will have a picture for you guys to analyze. If this is a RI, I hope I caught it quickly enough to be able to treat it efficiently.

Thank you to all that reply.

Thanks

Possible RI?

It's probably just the water from the bath. Mine will do that sometimes. No worries!
    BUT, I'm no expert, certainly wait for others.:p
    Last edited by Fraido; 10-22-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Good to hear that someone else has experienced the same thing! Please others, let me know if you have ever heard any wheezing during or shortly after a bath.

Thanks

Re: Possible RI?

Also, was this wheezing sound actually coming from her mouth? When I have my snakes in a bath, they often get it in their nostrils, and so that's where the sound is coming from. Is that the case?

Some part of me thinks that it's not unusual to see bubbles in the back of their mouths, could just simply be some saliva. You know, like if we open our mouth without swallowing prior to doing so, there'll be some spit.:p

I know that a lot of people bump up the temps a little bit to fight off an RI at the first signs, so if you're worried you could do that.(:

Sooo yeah, I am from from an expert, though. ^-^
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    So, I didn't touch her and I tried to feed her again and she took it fine. She's been chilling in her hide every since. You guys don't think she would feed if she has a RI right? I've heard that they usually will refuse food and that's another sign of something being wrong. I don't want to handle her to open her mouth now so you'll all have to wait a couple of days for the pic to check her out.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Typically they stop eating if they're sick. If she hasn't wheezed since the bath she probably just got water up her nose, especially if she put her head under the water.