Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,448

3 members and 3,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

exhaustive subject, but what size rat should I feed my 9 month Ball Python?

Hey all!
    Just a quick question. I have a female BP that weighs about 450 grams. I have been feeding her small rats every five days that are the same size as the widest part of her body. She has been taking them, but with a lot of hesitance. Been researching online and a few people say that medium rats are the main size that female ball pythons eat. Being that my girl is not even a year old and is already eating small rats concerns me. I know that over feeding Ball Pythons is bad for their health so I just want some opinions on whether or not I am feeding her the appropriate size prey for her age.
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    A female that is grown will eat medium rats. At 450 grams, yours is far from being big enough for mediums.

If she'll take them, feed her one small rat/week. If she refuses the smalls, then offer her a weaned rat every 4 or 5 days until she has put on some more weight and is comfortable with smalls. Around 500 grams is when they typically start taking smalls without hesitation. Mine stay on small rats until they reach the 1200 gram mark or so (then they go to mediums), but that very much so depends on the specific snake.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 10-22-2014 at 11:58 PM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

queenelvis82 (10-23-2014)

Thanks
    I agree with Eric on this. At that weight you should be feeding her a small rat. I feed all my snakes every 7 days because it's more convenient for me.

I have a Pastave het. Pied girl who started eating mediums at about 800g, but she's a little fattie and I expect her to be a big girl with her appetite. My Normal girl who's around 1100g isn't interested in mediums at all and prefers smalls. All depends on the snake.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: exhaustive subject, but what size rat should I feed my 9 month Ball Python?

Quote Originally Posted by queenelvis82 View Post
    She has been taking them, but with a lot of hesitance.
    Is she's hesitant about taking them, then go smaller. It doesn't matter what the caresheets or guides say...she seems to be telling you they're too big for her liking.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ditto on everyone else, you want to be feeding smalls at most not mediums yet.

What temperature is the rat when you offer it?

An animal usually wont go after something it doesn't think it can take, your snake doesn't know the rat is already dead and wont attack it unless it deems it the correct size for food. Well it may "attack" but once it wraps and figures out how large the rat is would leave it alone rather than swallow.

But it might "hesitate" if it's having a hard time recognizing it as food because is smells funny or is not hot enough (which is hotter than it would naturally be).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Velrys For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The temperature of the rat is around 100 degrees F. She looks at it for a while and smells it, then she gets disinterested. I then take the rat out and reheat it and present it to her. She seems a lot more interested when the rat is freshly heated. I do have to heat it about 4-5 times before she decides to take it.

Thanks

Thanks all! I plan on continuing to feed her small rats every seven days instead of five days.

Thanks
    It could be that 4 to 5 heatings is how long it takes to get up to a temp that looks good to her. I let mine get to at least 108 preferably 110 before offering. This way even the couple of minutes out from the heat will see the rat plenty warm.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Velrys For This Useful Post:

queenelvis82 (10-26-2014)