Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

1 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New BP owner.

Thanks
    Ok,

I'm serious, REMOVE the heat rock. See if you can get your money back or whatever but GET IT OUT of the enclosure.

Don't get another hide, your lack of reliable stable heat is your biggest problem and it is a BIG problem, the biggest in fact.

the UTH is going to get way too hot if its just plugged into the wall. Don't use it until you can control the output. Do this with a thermoSTAT, NOT a timer.

I guess you should put the temp strip on the substrate to get the best reading but even an analog thermometer would be an upgrade but ultimately you will want a digital or even better, an IR. Use this to try to get mid to high 80s in the tank with the lamp.

And READ, you said you know the basic stuff, I'm not sure what you meant because this is the basic stuff.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velrys For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-31-2014),bcr229 (10-31-2014),calmolly1 (10-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

That thermoSTAT for the UTH is the most important piece of equipment you need to get right now. Without one the UTH can get hot enough to burn your snake in just a few minutes. The vet bill to treat a burn is many times the price of a thermostat.

Hides are easy to make, put some loosely crumpled-up paper in there for your snake to hide under, and call it done.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (10-31-2014)

Thanks
    Is the purpose of the snake a recent one? Because something looks really wrong with the tip of its face, looks like a scab/sore.

Thanks

Re: New BP owner.

Can't edit my previous post, meant to say picture, not purpose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlisleishere View Post
    Is the purpose of the snake a recent one? Because something looks really wrong with the tip of its face, looks like a scab/sore.
    I was going to mention that! It looks like he's been rubbing his face and looks very sore. I'd advise a visit to a reptile vet ASAP. I was also told in a tank that big for such a young snake to provide lots of other stuff like fake plants, extra hide (definitely over the UTH!!), and stuff for him to feel more secure. Also with a glass tank with screen? top you will need to cover it to maintain ambient temp and humidity. And yes REMOVE THE HEAT ROCK! They are dangerous to your snake. Please read the links, they hVe really helped me! I read everything I could get my hands on before getting my girls but so much is different in practice! Good luck with him/her. BTW the vet can tell you the sex too.

Molly & Steve
    0.1 Normal BP. PRECIOUCESS
    0.1 Normal Columbian BCI. LUNA

Thanks

There's no scab or anything. It's all smooth. It's just colored like she had been eating chocolate or something.

Thanks

As everyone has already said, remove the heat rock because they are dangerous and are known to burn animals. I'm not sure what species a heat rock is made for, but it's definitely not a ball python so see if you can get your money back for it. A 55 gallon tank is way too big for a baby like yours, but If you fill the tank with LOTS of things like plants and hides and such it will help your snake feel more secure. But as you mentioned, money is tight so if you don't have the money for fake plants and such you can crumple up paper towels to add more security.

I just want to say that you seem a bit irresponsible. You said you learned the basics, but obviously not because this is the basics. And you purchased your snake when "money is tight". So now you can't provide proper care for it. It needs plants and hides and a thermostat and you can't provide those things. I would suggest taking the snake back and waiting until you're in a more stable place financially before purchasing another one. And I'd also encourage purchasing directly from a breeder because pet stores are notorious for selling unhealthy animals. Especially if it's a big chain pet store. But you may have gotten lucky and purchased a healthy animal!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ballpythoncrazy For This Useful Post:

raisinjelly (10-31-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ballpythoncrazy View Post
    As everyone has already said, remove the heat rock because they are dangerous and are known to burn animals. I'm not sure what species a heat rock is made for, but it's definitely not a ball python so see if you can get your money back for it
    They're not good for any species, reptile or otherwise. They're made by people who thought it was a good idea and continue to be produced because the pet stores still somehow manage to sell them to people without properly warning them. Same things go for certain bedding materials, really (ie. crushed walnut, which is advertised for beardies, but is essentially a death sentence).

The the OP; Don't get overwhelmed, now. I noticed this back when I had an iguana on a different site, but it can seem sometimes like the people on forums like this are almost attacking you for some admittedly beginner husbandry errors, but that's not how it is. Everyone wants to see every animal happy and well cared for, which is now your responsibility as an owner. Take a deep breath and every piece of advice given with a grain of salt, and just know that no one is trying to attack you.

On to some more positive things! Keeping reptiles on a budget is totally doable, so long as you have your priorities straight. Firstly; a thermostat has to be high on your list of things to get. A burned snake is a very bad thing. If you can take the heat rock back (as this is more likely to burn your snake than an unregulated UTH) and get a refund, that should at least put you in range for some of the thermostats they have in the petstores (usually kept in the same areas as the heat rocks, you can get a cheap one for around 35 dollars). Second! Mouse fuzzies are way too small. I did this with my first as well, and I had bought myself a bag of 50 of the damn things when I got her. Bump up the food sizes, mouse hoppers or rat pups are ideal, though if you have bulk fuzzies like I did you can try feeding two at a time. I know someone said a secondary hide isn't very important, but a 55 gallon tank is pretty big for a snake that small, so I would say go for it. The same kind of wooden hide there is probably your cheapest option, plus they're generally available in bigger sizes than the rock looking ones, though you'll learn they are a pain in the ass to clean (Spot clean all the time, you'll thank yourself for it). Also if you can manage it, some extra decoration (foliage, driftwood, etc) would help your snake to feel a little more secure, as little snakes in big tanks tend to stress out.

In that order:
    Heat regulation
    Properly sized food item
    hides and decoration

While you're doing all this, browse the forums and look up some videos of BP keepers. The more you know about your little one, the better off he or she will be. Also at your original question about telling gender; unless your planning on breeding, the gender is whatever you think it is (read; it doesn't matter, and finding out can be stressful/unnecessary for a pet snake).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

Velrys (10-31-2014)

Thanks
    It's true budgets suck, but with the proper priorities thanks Daigga! there is no reason your snake won't be happy in no time!

Something you may want to look at, after the thermostat, when you are getting larger food... look around at breeders in the area. I buy from a site called RodentPro.com that ships bulk rats. While this is not a good option for you, it means that these people are getting properly sized food items at a buck a piece and can maybe turn around and help you out without charging 2 dollars for a tiny mouse like petstores do.

Now everyone pretend I didn't say that, I'm sure it illegal some how.

Thanks

Hides and stuff to make his home more cozy, therefore making him feel safer don't have to be logs or other popular pet store purchases. He will be just as happy in an appropriate sized ice cream container upside down with a hole cut in it! Or balled up paper as one person suggested. Look on Craig's list for bargain decorations for sale. Be sure to sterilize them in a 10% bleach solution first! Also a wLk in the woods can provide a nice branch to climb on. Bake it for 20 min in the oven at 350f to kill any unwanted passengers. Aluminum foil works great over a screen top, and a wet wash cloth between the two raises humidity nicely. Cardboard and inexpensive woodsy looking wallpaper taped to sides and back of glass tank help hold in heat well too. Or bubble wrap. But the thermostat is a MUST!

Molly & Steve
    0.1 Normal BP. PRECIOUCESS
    0.1 Normal Columbian BCI. LUNA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast