Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,264

1 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Does anybody else have a lazy feeder?

This isn't really a concern, but more of a general question. Does anyone else have what I like to call a "lazy feeder"? In just about every ball python feeding video, you will see the person holding the f/t rodent with tweezers, and having the python strike it. Not my little girl. Whenever I try to shake the mouse, she'll either ball up or simply move away. She much prefers for the mouse to just be sitting in front of her hide. She'll get to it eventually. Does anyone else have a lazy feeder?

Thanks

Re: Does anybody else have a lazy feeder?

I can't even get mine to do that, so yea

Registered User butterballpython's Avatar
    Thanks
    My male will start periscoping when I bring the rats into the room. He'll strike the rat and grab it out of the feeding tongs, sometimes before I can even get the rat all the way into the enclosure. He doesn't care if he's in shed or not, or what sort of things are happening around him. The other week he fell into the water dish with the rat in his grip, but he wasn't about to loosen his grip for a minor detail like, oh say, the possibility of drowning. I moved him with the tongs so he wouldn't breathe in any water. He was coiled around the rat with his head and nostrils on the bottom. Not long after I got him, I held the rat over the enclosure and took its temp with the heat gun. It was only a little over 90 degrees, so I was going to warm it up a bit more, but he grabbed it before I could try that. When he sees a rat he's going to eat that rat, and nobody's going to stop him. Apparently nobody told him bp's are supposed to be picky eaters.

Both of my females have no intention of eating unless I place the properly heated rat at the entrance of whatever hide they're in and leave the room. Sometime overnight the rat will probably get eaten, but no guarantees.

Edited to add: I took Brickle to someone who has lots of experience with snakes to make sure his rats are the right size. He said they're perfect for him right now, and the size of his widest part. He also said his weight is good, neither too heavy or too slim, he's just a good eater.
    Last edited by butterballpython; 07-24-2016 at 07:53 PM.
    1.0 bp butter "Brickle" the friendly explorer
    0.1 bp champagne "Bubbles" the shy one
    0.1 bp normal "Callista" the little one

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

I have one lazy feeder I leave her rats in front of her house and she makes them disappear lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User bashatheballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Does anybody else have an aggressive feeder

I have to opposite problem my ball python is a very strong feeder I got her at a year old and she had mice her whole life and she took a rat on the first try with no scenting. But is is so bad that I have to put on an oven mitt when I take her out of feeding because she strikes it 3 or 4 times. I am feeding her enough she is 500 grams and gets a small rat anyone else have an aggressive feeder

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bashatheballpython For This Useful Post:

Kroberts10 (07-25-2016)

Thanks

I have one of each and one in the middle. My Enchi is a super aggressive feeder. If her tub is slid out and opened with the tub still in the rack she comes out of her hide and waits in an S pattern with her from half off the ground waiting for whatever comes in. She has never hesitated for food. My pastel, also a femal, is the complete opposite. She is te most skittish thing and gets scared of anything that goes in the tub including food. If she's out ontop of her hides when I go to feed, then she will go as fast as she can into whichever hide is most convenient. The way I feed her is to just leave the rat indront of the hide she's in. And it seems to work well. Except that as did just go on a 10 week fast. My male banana is hit or miss on whn he will eat. Though u think that is only with rats. Wth then he will take one small rat about once a month and with mice he will eat every time, though many time only one at a time.

As long as they all eat, I don't care how they prefer it. I'm still happy.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I have a male hognose that is the most gentle feeder I've ever seen. I hold the prey in front of his face and he slowly opens his mouth. I have to actually place the rodent nose in his gaping maw before he'll start swallowing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I've had what I call shy feeders that don't want anything to do with their prey with a hulking mass of human hovering behind it. They usually ate best when in the hide and unable to sense me. Otherwise I'd leave the rodent and cross my fingers it'd be gone later - 50/50 for these.

Thanks
    My friend fed her rescue for the first time this weekend, and it was hilarious. She had been told the snake refused F/T and only ate live when she felt like it.

Yeah that F/T mouse was struck before she was even done lowering it. But then she didn't really constrict it, just laid on top of it for like 5 minutes before actually wolfing it down. Apparently she's just too lazy to actually kill her prey.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I've several that go from lazy to aggressive. They're quite some characters. Lately they've all been pretty eager but one out of the six. They always have to throw you a curve.