Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

0 members and 3,324 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Question Me and my newbie questions.

Just a few more newbie questions here, before I start buying setup things... Get ready.

Is there a reason why glass tanks need a heat lamp+heat bulb+undertank heater, but a Sterilite tub setup only needs one undertank heater?

Humidity in the enclosure is provided solely by the water bowl + contained enclosure?

Using a tank setup (vs. tub) seems like a much more costly option, though both options appear to work? Is the tank setup mostly just aesthetic?

I've read that BP do not need lighting, but would they be alright in truly 90% darkness all the time, just to be sure?

Also, just curious what the reason is for covering 3 sides of the tank? (I assume for the snake to feel secure)

And finally... not a question in the right forum, but could anyone recommend reliable breeders for getting a BP online? Or any known good breeders in the Orange County/LA area?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-02-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks
    Glass holds heat poorly.

You can also get sphagnum moss that increases humidity, as well as spraying the walls/substrate regularly.

As far as I have seen, yes, a tank setup is just to add visual enjoyment to it.

Can't confirm on lighting, don't want to speak to anything I don't know for sure.

Yes, covering the three sides is to make the snake feel more secure about his environment.

Can't recommend any breeders, but a question for you. You sound a bit like me when I got the first BP, between a tub setup and a tank. Have you considered a PVC enclosure such as an Animal Plastics setup at all? It's a nice balance between tank and tub.

Thanks
    Oh right, I remember reading about sphagnum moss. I happen to have a ton of Java Moss from my aquariums haha.. not sure if that would work well too.

I did check out PVC enclosures from Animal Plastics, but I took one look at the price and decided against it, for now. :s I'm not the most wealthy college student at the moment + the cost of a pretty BP. From the sounds of it now though, a tub is more preferable if only because of the heat retaining compared to glass tank?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-02-2015 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks
    Heat and humidity. Depending on where you live, humidity can be the killer.

Edit: Not like literally kill your snake, it doesn't usually get that bad, just the difficult thing to get right.
    Last edited by Nodnarb3do; 03-02-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks

Re: Me and my newbie questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodnarb3do View Post
    Heat and humidity. Depending on where you live, humidity can be the killer.

Edit: Not like literally kill your snake, it doesn't usually get that bad, just the difficult thing to get right.
    I live in Southern California and it is pretty darn dry here most of the year.. At its worst though, assuming I'm too busy to spray water, would placing two water bowls in the tub be detrimental? Or yeah, adding a clump of wet sphagnum moss would work.... Fumbles. xD
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-02-2015 at 01:52 AM.

Thanks
    More or larger water bowls. For humidity, you want more surface water. The moss can help, but if your humidity isn't great make sure you stick some of it, moist, in his hot hide. He'll still be fine to get in there and push it around, and it gives him a humid area whenever he feels the need. Great for sheds.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. That works for me.

Also, how often should we normally change out the aspen substrate?

Thanks
    Spot clean regularly (poop, that sort of thing), take everything out, sanitize the enclosure, and get new substrate about once a month. That's general advice, and I don't use aspen, so if someone else says otherwise, listen to them.

Thanks

If your worried about humidity get the eco earth compressed bricks put em in a bucket of water wait 30 minuets and your set for humidity for at least a month with just misting daily

Thanks

I would bypass the glass tank option considering you're a desert dweller, humidity will be a constant battle.
    An AP cage large enough for an adult BP can be had for under $200 plus shipping. Are you sure you can afford to feed the snake?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast