Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,478

1 members and 3,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Looking for something alittle different for next snake

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    These are mine - http://s477.photobucket.com/user/efi...?sort=3&page=1

I just got the 2011 female a few weeks ago. She's five feet long now and isn't expected to grow much more. Savus are thin-bodied snakes and she fits nicely into a melamine enclosure with the footprint of a 40-breeder for quarantine.

Most commercial care sheets state they need "moderate" humidity levels but I've been told by several keepers who have had them a while that they run them higher, around 75%, or they have bad sheds. Temps range from 75-85*F. So, husbandry is very like a Brazilian rainbow boa.

They have a voracious appetite; I'd put the food response right up there with my SD retics. They will eat themselves to an early death if allowed to get fat.
    I know you were looking at arboreal hides, are they semi arboreal? I like the pictures and they, to me, look like a scrub/retic combo in a way.

The OP was looking for the $300 or less price range. Are these guys spendy at this time because they are somewhat rare or are they in that range?

They appear to be something I'd really like and consider down the road.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

I haven't had time yet to set up arboreal hides. These guys do like to climb when you have them out though, much like a BRB or DRMB.

These guys aren't at all spendy, I got the adult female for $220 shipped. Babies are typically $150-175 plus shipping. I think there isn't a high demand for them because many people who purchase snakes eventually want to breed them, and these guys take a long time to mature - 4-5 years for a male, 5-6 years for a female - before they will produce babies. People looking to breed and sell don't want to wait that long.

Thanks
    perhaps a Macklot's python would be right up your alley.
    0.1 IJ carpet python
    1.1 childrens pythons
    0.1 crested
    1.0 three toed box turtle
    1.0 aussie shepherd
    1.0 chupacabra/hyena dog thing.
    1.2 strange cats
    0.2 stranger children
    0.1 even stranger GF

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I haven't had time yet to set up arboreal hides. These guys do like to climb when you have them out though, much like a BRB or DRMB.

These guys aren't at all spendy, I got the adult female for $220 shipped. Babies are typically $150-175 plus shipping. I think there isn't a high demand for them because many people who purchase snakes eventually want to breed them, and these guys take a long time to mature - 4-5 years for a male, 5-6 years for a female - before they will produce babies. People looking to breed and sell don't want to wait that long.
    WOW!

Good news on all fronts!

I don't want to take the flavor away from the original post, but I really want to see how things progress with your Savus.

I read a bit about them in Mark O'Shea's book BOAS AND PYTHONS OF THE WORLD but the passage was pretty short if I recall.

I'll check out Youtube for some stuff as well. I had really wanted to try a scrub or olive, but didn't want to deal with the space limitations, water pythons sounded cool, but if Savu Pythons climb I really like the idea.

Plus you have a diverse collection. Once I hear how they stack up to SD retics which are expensive I may have a whole new love affair.

The OP certainly has a large pool of potential new snakes to choose from.

Thanks
    Lots of good ideas. I'm a little ways away from purchase, because I like to research the crap out of things.

I had a red tail years ago. She was cool, but they just don't do it for me.

Carpets are cool, but I'm more of a pure bred person. Although there's plenty of pure strains available.

Savus sound cool, a little slender though.

Black heads are cool, but way too pricey for me.

Don't like kingsnakes or corns. I've had corns before. They aren't "exotic" enough to keep my interest. We have garter snakes where I live. That's what colurbrids remind me of.

Maybe I've spent to much time looking. Everything seems over done to me. Classified ad burn out. Maybe that's why nothing is exciting to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Black Headed pythons .. very similar to Womas but generally larger and they have a jet black head and neck .

Also if you want something different - I've got a Dwarf Hypo Burmese python ( pics on my collection thread ) .
    Typical Burmese personality - plus very alert and inquisitive AND fast moving yet lovely and calm when being handled .
    300 should get you a normal phase dwarf Burm

I love Burms, but their hard to find local because of the ban. But a dwarf would be cool. Did a little research. Sounds like half dwarfs stay small, and have better temperaments.

Thanks
    Not sure what to tell you. Your criteria seems to be everything offered here yet you don't seem blown away. That is a bit surprising as royal pythons like the one you own are one of the least active snakes and certainly don't get large compared to boas, carpets or some of the other species.

Maybe you are an olive python candidate? Large, but still not overly large. Active though mostly terrestrial, they will eat about anything, including other snakes. But we get into the budget crunch you want to avoid.

I'd say a Cribo, since the tend to be VERY active, but are also very expensive plus they are a colubrid.

Dumerils boa or Madagascar tree boas are interesting.

If you want a challenge look at a Cuban boa.

Tanimbar pythons are a smaller version of the scrub python, but are said to be nippy into adulthood.

I didn't mention either green tree python or emerald tree boas because they are not noted for being good to handle.

Largest colubrid in the world and rare, rare, rare if you want something totally different. But you'll pay for these I'll bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfayEQxhSbc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-30-2015)

Thanks
    Dominican Red Mountain Boa.

I know absolutely nothing about them except that they're beautiful. So take that suggestion with a large grain of salt!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    Dominican Red Mountain Boa.

I know absolutely nothing about them except that they're beautiful. So take that suggestion with a large grain of salt!
    I saw those too. They are different that's for sure. Maybe.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Looking for something alittle different for next snake

Quote Originally Posted by Yodawagon View Post
    I love Burms, but their hard to find local because of the ban. But a dwarf would be cool. Did a little research. Sounds like half dwarfs stay small, and have better temperaments.
    Yeah , the Dwarf Burm hatchlings these days are puppy soft but the first generation of Dwarf Burms were apparently quite feisty . Anyways , mine is very inquisitive in the viv but turns into a Royal when he's handled ( after a two minute mooch around ) .

He's also 18 months old and still under 3' ..

My normal Hypo Burm was around 8' at this age .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-26-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: edit

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast