Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

3 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Riverrun

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Riverrun

Quote Originally Posted by dylanjwicklund View Post
    I'm not American

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    You are actually. North American to be more specific. The Americas are continents not countries. Over a period time, somehow the country of the United States seems to be the only thing that comes to mind when "America" is mentioned. The US, Canada and Mexico are all part of North America.

Pardon the little geography/country interruption LOL!

Back to topic. I suggest doing it the legal way no matter where you are from. Accidents/incidents that may or may not happen could put you in a bind. Plus the crappy neighbor will probably pop his ugly head again.

The reptile community as a whole needs to be in line with local regulations and restrictions. The incident at the pet shop in Canada still sent out waves here in the US. The folks that are against us look for any little shred of bad news for their agenda.

I like the idea of the permit and more power to you if you push a bit to get it the right way!

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Gio; 10-02-2015 at 08:50 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (10-02-2015)

Thanks

Yea I know that no matter how good of an owner you are something may happen that's why I'm planning incase a bunch of stuff I have plans in place to ensure the safety of the snake itself because the last thing I'd want is it to be euthanized because I posted pictures or decided to take a walk with him that's why he is going to be in my room where no one goes and only shown to people I trust very well and love reptiles like me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dylanjwicklund For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-02-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dylanjwicklund View Post
    Yea I know that no matter how good of an owner you are something may happen that's why I'm planning incase a bunch of stuff I have plans in place to ensure the safety of the snake itself because the last thing I'd want is it to be euthanized because I posted pictures or decided to take a walk with him that's why he is going to be in my room where no one goes and only shown to people I trust very well and love reptiles like me

Good call!

What is legal in your area and what is not?

Does the permit allow you the snakes you'd like to keep?

There are a lot of great species out there and some don't fall under regulations.

IF,,, and this is a big if; The Lacey Act sticks here with the Anacondas, Burms and Retics, I feel there are some other species that can fill the void.

I almost hate to name them because of "big brother", but Olive pythons and Scrubbies are often overlooked.

I am not a true giant snake owner even with a coastal carpet and Colombian locality BCI, but if I was looking to get into something bigger and not able to go Burmese or Retic, I'd look to the Aussie pythons.

The scrubs are highly arboreal and very exciting and challenging too.

Thanks

The permit will allow me to keep him here but I like the fact yea I'll already have him but I'll keep sending in the permit till I finally get approved because I would love to show him off but can't until it's done being processed and sent back which I've been told up to 6 months but every time I've been told that for something it's always came alot faster

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

River now weighs about 440 grams, and has officially been moved up to small rats. Not much else has changed yet. Once the PVC enclosures arrive she'll be moved out of her tub, it's been about 7 weeks so hopefully it will be sent out in the next week, but I could wait as long as until February or later from what I've seen. If that's case, she'll probably end up skipping the 4'x2' entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Despite all this weight she's gaining she doesn't seem to be growing much at all in length, most of her weight seems to be going to thickness now. :/ Measuring her on SerpWidgets shows she hasn't grown an inch since I measured her in September, and she definitely doesn't look it in person either, which is why I brought her up on SW in the first place. This seems weird to me because I have both bumped up her food size and upped her feeding frequency to every 7-10 days in the past 2 months.

Over the ~7 months I've had her she's grown pretty much 6" every 2-3 months and now her growth has stopped.

This is the photo I used to measure her.

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    Despite all this weight she's gaining she doesn't seem to be growing much at all in length, most of her weight seems to be going to thickness now. :/ Measuring her on SerpWidgets shows she hasn't grown an inch since I measured her in September, and she definitely doesn't look it in person either, which is why I brought her up on SW in the first place. This seems weird to me because I have both bumped up her food size and upped her feeding frequency to every 7-10 days in the past 2 months.

Over the ~7 months I've had her she's grown pretty much 6" every 2-3 months and now her growth has stopped.

This is the photo I used to measure her.

Looking great!

Thanks

So after some recalculation I realized she could easily take mediums so I doubled her up on one small rat and one weaned rat this time around. Once she goes through the few weaned and smalls I have I'll be ordering some mediums and larges for her, as well as small adult mice for Sanji and Nymeria when she's ready to move up, and fuzzies for Guin. I don't think I'll order everyone's food at once because I still have a ton of rats and mice I need to go through, but it will be nice to bump a few of them in size and be ready for when others need to be bumped.

The small rat.

And the weaned.

I don't like doubling up, but her lack of growth in length has me worried and retics seem to handle higher volumes of food so I figured it will hold her over. If this kickstarts her growth she may outgrow mediums before she finishes off the weaned and smalls....Or come close to it. She's gone up 4 rat sizes in ~7-8 months so yeah there's that retic growth too.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks

Her growth has kickstarted again since doubling up her meals, she is now right around 4.5' and 556 grams. I thought she'd reached 5', but SerpWidgets showed her to be 4.5', and although it can have 2"-3" of difference it normally isn't half a foot off as long as I get a good overhead picture.

So yay! She's growing again! I'm thinking she'll end up ready for larges by the time she finishes off the rest of her weaned and small rats.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks

My crew - 1.0 het purple / 1.0 tiger het purple / 0.1 purple tiger

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast