Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

1 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: What is the reason there aren't any Candied Clowns or DH Candied Clowns being offered

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are just not that popular/wanted

1 33.33%
  • Not enough people have the patience to work on a long term project like that

2 66.67%

Thread: Opinions needed

Thanks

Opinions needed

Hey everyone,

with a little bit of luck I am going to have my first breeding season at the end of this year,

My Lesser Pastel female seems to be a sure thing (i know nothing is for sure with bp's) and I am hoping my Orange Ghost female will be ready.

As for my Lesser Pastel female i already got an idea of what male i want to breed to her.

But my question is for my Orange Ghost, for a while now i have been thinking to breed my Clown male to her to make some double het, Orange Ghost Clown (a.k.a. Candied Clown)
    But I just started to doubt about that because in the last 2-3 years that i have been walking around on reptile shows and looking on the internet sites i have seen no Candied Clowns or double het. Candied Clowns being offered. (I live in the Netherlands, europe)

I figured there are 2 possible reasons why that could be,

*1 They are just not popular/wanted enough.
    *2 There are just not enough people out there patient enough to work on a long term project like that.

I would very much like to know what you think is the reason, and if you think i still should go for it?

me personally like double recessive projects even though that means they become long term projects, hell I even already figured what i wanted to do next with the Candied Clown project haha (mix in the lesser and Pastel and also Leopard and Fire haha, basicly all the other gene's in my collection)
    Last edited by ARBallMorphs; 04-18-2015 at 06:53 PM.
    YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCue...yj1vBeeIUZVl2Q

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could be a bit of both, so far I will say that the majority of hypo clown I have seen were not that great (to me, to busy of a pattern)

I believe if people start hatching Hypo Blade Clown and Hypo Enchi Clown they will become more popular. (I am working on both)
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-19-2015)

Thanks
    To be fair, I don't see many double recessives at local shows at all. Killer clowns sometimes if you want to count them, but double recessives seem pretty rare overall. It's also possible whenever someone hits a double recessive they keep it for themselves instead of sell it (totally reasonable) so we may just see them less.

Thanks

Re: Opinions needed

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Could be a bit of both, so far I will say that the majority of hypo clown I have seen were not that great (to me, to busy of a pattern)

I believe if people start hatching Hypo Blade Clown and Hypo Enchi Clown they will become more popular. (I am working on both)
    ok thanks,

so if i ask you should or shouldn't I breed my Clown to my orange Ghost, what would you answer?

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ARBallMorphs View Post
    ok thanks,

so if i ask you should or shouldn't I breed my Clown to my orange Ghost, what would you answer?
    I would say breed what YOU like, I know I do.

Double recessive projects are not for everyone those are long projects but if this is what you want to do you should not worry about what other thinks.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

JLC (04-18-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I would say breed what YOU like, I know I do.

Double recessive projects are not for everyone those are long projects but if this is what you want to do you should not worry about what other thinks.
    yes I understand and yeah i do like the double recessive projects, I've also been thinking that when my Patsel het. Pied pair is ready and i get a male Pied (normal, pastel or super pastel) to breed that male Piebald to the orange Ghost. It is not like I would only be doing long term projects but some just gonna have to be to hatch a animal that i want

Back to the candied Clown, I do like Candied Clowns, but I am not planning on keeping all that would hatch, nor am i planning on keep all the double het's that would hatch from the first breeding. I was thinking of keeping 2/3 females and a male. if i would be lucky to get that

so if it is damn near impossible to sell dh Candied Clowns or Candied Clowns I am not sure if i should do it.

Females;

Males;
    ald

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ARBallMorphs View Post

so if it is damn near impossible to sell dh Candied Clowns or Candied Clowns I am not sure if i should do it.
    Market wise people should be more worried about producing single and double genes co-dom and dom and not being able to sell them than recessive and double recessive, that being said before getting to a double visual recessive remember that DH will still be harder to sell regardless of the project if you have a limited reputation
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ARBallMorphs (04-19-2015)

Thanks
    Yeah that is something i already thought about

i am nit to worried about my reputation as do know alot of people personaly

Females;

Males;
    ald

Thanks
    I think most people want instant gratification and few have the patience to raise double hets and hope the odds are in their favor. That being said I saw a pastel hypo clown today at an expo and it was awesome. Probably unaffordable to most but an amazing animal and to me that project is worth it
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BumbleB For This Useful Post:

ARBallMorphs (04-19-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
    I think most people want instant gratification and few have the patience to raise double hets and hope the odds are in their favor. That being said I saw a pastel hypo clown today at an expo and it was awesome. Probably unaffordable to most but an amazing animal and to me that project is worth it
    I can understand those people who want that "instant" gratificationbut I think I would get more gratification out of the long term project(s)

Ok I have made up my mind, i will go for the Clownxorange Ghost breeding to get some double hets and make my first steps in the long term project

I want to thank everyone who gave me there opinion

Females;

Males;
    ald

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ARBallMorphs For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (04-19-2015)